Borrowing a Panther.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Borrowing a Panther.

I have a 2003 Taurus with possibly a bad transaxle. I won't know until I get it into the show. I expect it to be a failed torque converter with metal pieces through out the transmission.
    http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205266

To avoid a new car payment and give me the chance to resolve it, I will be borrowing my uncle '94 grand marquis. So I will be joining the panthers. http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205746

The vehicle hadn't run in over a year. I was able to get it started with my Taurus battery. I let it run for over an hour.

However the terminals are swapped. So I'll have to extend the positive cable. I expect to have to cycle all of the fluids.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Cool. Love the wire extension

FWDs are the devil! :p

Pete
    Originally posted by gadget73
    For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
    1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
    1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

I need to properly extend the starter and fuse cable. I thought about splicing them together then using the single extension (cut to length) . The car is not close so I can't go check. Does anyone know the Gauges? It would be better to extend each separately. Then combine them at the battery terminal

Comment

I'd be more tempted to just get the proper battery for the car. Its easier than trying to modify the cables.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Are the thoughts of a big three upgrade? New cable runs to starter, fuse block and ground? My wife and I are working out the startup cost. I want to change out the fluids. It sat for 18 months and may or may not have run in that time.

Last edited by Thesavo; 01-15-2014, 07:03 AM.

Comment

definitely should change the oil. The transmission might be fine as is, just give it a good run to work out any condensation that's in it. Coolant might need a flush, just check the color after a few days of running around and see if it's got floaties or not. The rest... meh.

I would do like gadget says and just get the right battery. not only will it fit better, it will connect to what's already there.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Update. Looks like we're going to leave the MGM with my uncle. No Panther for me. My wife wasn't happy with having me driver a RWD vehicle in Upstate NY. I wasn't happy having to invest in tires and a new battery. RWD being the biggest. Sorry to get hopes up of another Panther on the road.

Comment

RWD tends to work just as well as FWD if you know how to drive it. For those who don't, neither is any better than the other as they will both get stuck in snow/ice without limited slip diffs.

svt98t (Ryan) lives in the Buffalo, NY area and has never had any issues driving his 93 MGM around in the "upstate" area. He even used that car to rescue his wife a few years back when the highway was bogged during a blizzard. He was passing jeeps and other 4x4s in his RWD "tank".

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I personally found that regardless of what even end pushes the car, good tries and traction control makes the most difference. I have never felt safer than when I had good tires on my Taurus. But what ever makes her feel better. I got a 2004 subaru legacy.
                  It doesn't hold the road well as we thought it would. Not bad enough to return it. I won't have like driving the Panther better. Well I still have the electrical diagrams and am good at Reading them. I hope ya'll let me contribute some.
                  Last edited by Thesavo; 02-04-2014, 02:48 PM.

Comment

I luv my beast. 2 60lb sandbags in the trunk along with some Blizzards all around, and Jetfire hasn't failed me. I live in Upstate NY (Troy) and on a hill and my MGM handles the snow like it ain't nothing. Just plows right thru it

We got another snowstorm coming tonite into tomorrow and I ain't worried.
                    '97 Mercury Grand Marquis GS aka JetFire

Comment

I saw that we're supposed to get 30 cm or 12 inches. Troy - Schenectady road is going to be fun tomorrow. :-(

Comment

+1 good tires.

also, I totally understand not wanting to have to deal with a car that has been sitting since it may need a LOT more work than just battery and tires.

Comment

Exactly. I would rather be driving this Panther then fixing the indecidentals on this suby I paid $3,000 for. But the MGM hasn't run in over a year, since I just did 3 weeks ago. I don't know what can of worms I got here. The suby runs except the boxer "ticking". There's a favor dry of tires on the suby and the MGM needs tires.

Comment

Yeah. Something along the lines of 9-14 inches by the time it's all over. Fun times ahead

'97 Mercury Grand Marquis GS aka JetFire

Comment

Working...
                            X