1996 Ford F-150 XL 4x4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1996 Ford F-150 XL 4x4

I figured I'd introduce the latest addition to my personal fleet of FoMoCo vehicles: my "new" winter beater. I had to find something to replace the 2010 F-150 I had for winter time use when the Lincoln is put up, and the 1991 F-150 I bought never made it on the road due to stupid MVI regulations here in Newfoundland and Labrador. $3500 down the shitter.
    It's a 1996 Ford F-150 XL 4x4 regular cab long box truck. 242,xxx kms (150,xxx miles). 5.0 EFI OBD II, automatic with overdrive. Just put 4 new studded Traction King Plus tires on there, need them too because I live on a steep ass hill and the city of Corner Brook doesn't believe in efficient snowclearing. The truck needed a few odds and ends to pass inspection such as U-joints, ball joints, muffler, parking brake cables, pads, rotors, etc. Paid $1000 for it, spent another $800 (parts, labour, taxes, plates, stickers, etc) to get it on the road and $700 for the new tires. Hopefully the front-end is aligned enough that the tires don't get murdered too quickly lol...
    Thankfully, the body/chassis is solid, clean and all original. It's currently a very faded red with a red interior but I'm thinking I might paint it the summer if it proves to be a good old truck. I really like the Calypso Coral colour from the early 1970's Ford truck colour charts. You can't tell if it's red or orange, right in the middle between the two colours.
    I'll post a pic or two when I get around to it :P
    Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
    Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
    The 1991 F-150 I bought never made it on the road due to stupid MVI regulations here in Newfoundland and Labrador. $3500 down the shitter.
    Are you going to keep it for parts?
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Not 100% sure yet. Parts are nice to have but that's an effin expensive parts truck. I'm not doing anything with it until spring. Might try to sell it as a plow truck then or something Or I might scrap it and use whatever parts are good for the '96 and my dad's '87. No hurry at the moment though.
      Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
      Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Has anybody here owned one of these '92 to '96 F-Series trucks? I think Sly may have had one that fell victim to a stupid Texas driver. I digress....
        Anywho, my truck has both a cigar lighter and 12v Power Point in the dash. They are on separate fuses but one is wired off of the other one, along with the ashtray light. The Power Point never worked since I had the truck, and the cigar lighter stopped working altogether as well. So I have no 12v power inside the cab at this point.
        Checked the fuses, both are blown (25 amp for the Power Point) and 15 amp for the cigar lighter. Replaced them, everything is fine until you plug any kind of lighter or charger into the sockets...*pop* *pop* both fuses blown as things are plugged in.
        Hmm...must be the lighter sockets shorted out or something...so off I go and get two new 12v lighter sockets. Replace those, check the wiring inside the dash as far back as I can reach, everything seems good. Try to use the lighter sockets aaaaand *pop* *pop* as soon as anything is plugged in (lighter, cell phone/satellite radio charger).
        Starting to get annoyed now as time is running out to get it all put back together and cleaned up so we can go somewhere important.
        Replaced the wires back as far as the main 4-pin connector behind the ashtray and eliminated the ashtray light for good measure. Put it all back together, plugged stuff in: you guessed it...*pop* *pop* go the fuses again! FML the girlfriend is putting the pressure on that we need to go, we're going to be late! blah blah blah...
        Anybody know of any places between the ashtray and the fuse panel where the wires are known to short out in these trucks? I'd like to have these lighters working because I need power for my radio that I pay for a subscription to, to charge my blackberry that eats battery life, etc. etc. etc....

Comment

are both fuses blowing when one thing is plugged in or the fuse for the plug blows when something is plugged in?

are you sure the devices you're plugging in still work and are not shorted internally? I've had to repair some cheap chargers because the wire off the center spring crosses the outer wishbone spring and rubbed through the insulation.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Each fuse is blowing individually as things are plugged in. I'm pretty sure it's not the auxiliary equipment as I tried different items, most of which have fuses in them anyway. Even the actual cigarette lighter is blowing them...

Comment

that is odd. the ONLY thing that makes sense is that the center pin is somehow being shorted to the sides in them to cause this, but after installing new ports, I would think that would solve the issue. Unless the wire for power to the outlet has an issue in the bend and is resting on the ground... a wiggle might cause it to pop, but you said you checked the wires already. It makes me wonder if there's already a current draw on the system post fuse and it's taking the fuse to near the limit and when you plug in the device, bumps it over on initial draw.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Leave it to me to have very strange problems lol...
                I might just run brand new wires from the fuse box to each of the lighters and have a separate committed ground just for the lighters and see how that goes. I just hope it doesn't mess with my OBD II port, that's on the same fuse as the 12v Power Point. Thanks for the help Sly!

Comment

Have you tried disconnecting them individually then plugging something in to see if it blows? For example, unplug the lighter to see if the power point works and vise versa? It's possible there's a bad wire or short to ground outside of these 2 things. You can also try using an ohm meter with the fuses out for these items and wiggle the wires to see wether or not the wires are making a connection.

'93 T-bird
                  '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                  '88 Mark VII
                  '86 CV

Comment

Originally posted by purplebomb302 View Post
                    Have you tried disconnecting them individually then plugging something in to see if it blows? For example, unplug the lighter to see if the power point works and vise versa? It's possible there's a bad wire or short to ground outside of these 2 things. You can also try using an ohm meter with the fuses out for these items and wiggle the wires to see wether or not the wires are making a connection.
                    I tried that as well, no dice. Really, the only thing I didn't do was trace the wiring ALL the way back to the fuse box and ground. That's why I wanted to know if anyone else here had similar problems with similar trucks so I could look at a known problem area for a short somewhere along the way. I'll have another go at it the weekend and see what I come up with.
                    Thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by purplebomb302 View Post
                      I tried that as well, no dice. Really, the only thing I didn't do was trace the wiring ALL the way back to the fuse box and ground. That's why I wanted to know if anyone else here had similar problems with similar trucks so I could look at a known problem area for a short somewhere along the way. I'll have another go at it the weekend and see what I come up with.
                      Thanks for the help

Comment

never had any issues with my 93 when I had it... at least electrically. That truck had plenty of other issues, but electrics was not one.

Comment

Have any suggestions, MrMarquis?

Comment

Got it straightened out after. Turns out my satellite radio charger was shorted out internally (it converted 12v to 5v) and a previous owner had a 30A fuse where a 25A fuse belonged...so my shorted out charger melted a wire post-fuse but farther up the line than I had checked when I was at it last weekend. So I ended up having to fix up the section of wire and get a new charger. What are the odds of both parts (truck wiring AND the radio charger) being bad and causing this headache?
                            Leave it to me to have the weirdest problems...
                            Thanks for the input guys

Comment

chances are pretty good with a 30A fuse in there, actually.

Comment

Working...
                              X