No announcement yet.

My 1989 Crown Victoria.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No pics this update as there's not anything really interesting to take pics about.
    Finished up:
    • Drive shaft removed
    • Exhaust removed
    • More trim removed
    • Interior cleared out of all the parts
    • Finished taking the rest of the dash/glove box apart
    • Seat belts removed
    • Rear window light and stuff back there cleared out
    • Trunk cleared out
    • Rear doors removed

Besides some odds & ends, basically all that's left is the front doors.

Does anyone know if the electrical connector for the door is under the dash or inside the door? If it's inside the door, I can just cut the wire going to to the door and pop the doors off and be done with it.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

If your windshield is perfect and you can use it in something else, pull it or have it swapped out. They are getting hard to find at least here. Pinkington is all that I can get without waiting or spending big bucks. Carlite is the best.
      Pull the third brake light and wire down to the connector. and the little clips that hold it to the body. They are yellow and like to strip out.

Comment

For the doors I have fished the guts out of the doors and left wires hanging from body. Not sure if anything is easily accessible.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
          If your windshield is perfect and you can use it in something else, pull it or have it swapped out. They are getting hard to find at least here. Pinkington is all that I can get without waiting or spending big bucks. Carlite is the best.
          Pull the third brake light and wire down to the connector. and the little clips that hold it to the body. They are yellow and like to strip out.
          I was thinking about the windshield and back glass in the back of my mind as possibly being something getting hard to find. I'll try to save both. The back is in perfect shape and the front only has a small chip in it. I never pulled one of these out before so it should be interesting.

3rd brake light and connectors are now pulled.

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
          For the doors I have fished the guts out of the doors and left wires hanging from body. Not sure if anything is easily accessible.
          I kept digging on the passenger's side (because there's more room under the dash) and I was only able to find one connector. The rest of it just disappears into the huge snake of wires that run under the dash. I just decided to hack those off.

Unlike the back doors, there was this tiny metal tab that went from the door hinge into the body (where it then rusted into a single piece). I didn't want to break it but I could get it out/off. I can't see it missing would be that much of an issue if I were to reuse the door. I can't imagine what it could have served as besides maybe a way to line it up at the factory or perhaps a solid ground connection between the door and the body?

Anyway, here's the broken tab..

Body side:

Door hinge side:

Side question: are these the ditch light relays? Found them just left of the steering column under the dash.

And any idea what this is? Was around the same area:

Thanks!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Regarding the windshield. If you have never done one and do not have the proper tools, high chance of breaking it. Consider having a windshield place come by and do the removal .

The black box looks like a windshield wiper delay module.

Comment

I assume that is a tack weld on the hinge.
              I don't recall the '84 CV parts car or my old '87 CV having those welds, but a '90 MGM in the JY and The Ice Car ('91 MGM) both did. Might be an '88+ thing if my memory is correct. (This was about 19 years ago when I swapped doors from the '84 to the '87, but I'm fairly certain both car's hinges were only bolted on.)
              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

89 did not have a weld on door hinges. I also remember changing a hinge on the 93 and that had no welds.
                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Yes. Those are the ditch light relays. Normally they had tabs on the heads of them and around mounted to a bracket under neath/behind the fuse panel. And the black box is the wiper governor. It simply plugs inline of the wiper connection up to the stalk
                  ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                    89 did not have a weld on door hinges. I also remember changing a hinge on the 93 and that had no welds.
                    I have 3 89s and 2 90s with a tack weld on the upper hinges. WagonMan
                    89 Colony Park
                    90 Colony Park
                    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Definitely hang on to those ditch light relays! I may need one in the future one of mine is acting up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As of yesterday, the car is finally gone to the junkyard in the sky. The money for scrapping the body paid the u-haul rental to drag it there. Not too bad but I probably wouldn't have broken even if the place wasn't only a mile down the road from my house. (I guess I could have pushed it there as well...) If I didn't want to keep the wheels, I probably could have had someone come to the house to junk it.

On the dolly:

Before we left, the steering wheel was removed as well.

When we got there, we asked if the guy with the forklift could lift the car so we could get the wheels off but they said he was busy in the back for a while and could wait until later in the day. My friend decided that he would pick up each corner of the car and then I could grab the wheel out from underneath. I know it's much lighter without anything in it, but still... Anyway, it worked. We were able to get the wheels out from under there and dropped the car on it's body.

I guess that ends the story of this car as a car, though most of its parts will live on well into the future.

Comment

Probably the best end possible for something structural rot like that. At least a good chunk of it will live on like you said.

My Cars:
                          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I hope you saved the proportioning valve off the master cylinder, they are getting harder to find. WagonMan
                            89 Colony Park
                            90 Colony Park
                            70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

I appreciate the parts the car has given.
                              ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                                Probably the best end possible for something structural rot like that. At least a good chunk of it will live on like you said.
                                Agreed. Usually I would be bummed about it getting scrapped but with so much of the car saved, I'm okay with it.

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
                                I hope you saved the proportioning valve off the master cylinder, they are getting harder to find. WagonMan
                                Ahhh... I did not. Originally, there was the idea of flat towing the thing to the scrap yard so we would have needed the brake system intact. After the interior and doors were off, that would have been way too dangerous to attempt. I should have taken it but completely forgot about it.

I think there was a post recently with someone looking for a replacement but found an aftermarket adjustable one that worked. I can't find the thread now. Maybe it was a reader's ride thread?

I remember when I needed to replace the proportioning valve on my 84 Chevy Celebrity and it was a nightmare finding one... and that was back in 2005.

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                                I appreciate the parts the car has given.

Comment

Working...
                                X