My 1989 Crown Victoria.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
    Wish I wasn't so far from you. I'd love to swap in a set of vent window doors on my '90.
    I had the vent window swap parts packed well and sent to me via Greyhound. All went well. I just don't have the motivation to do that mod right now.
    My back hurts just thinking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
      If you're not planning on keeping the A-pillar interior trim, I definitely could use a set. Mine have some small cracks. Same goes for that metal trim above the doors if you can get it off without bending it. I'll gladly pay shipping and whatever you decide to value those bits at if unless you're keeping them.
      I'm unsure if I'm going to keep those or not. I guess it depends on the if they're better than the GMs. I'll let you know once I have the "full pile of stuff" if I plan on parting with them.

Any idea how to ship them without them risking getting bent? I guess lots of padding? I haven't really shipped much stuff in the past.

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
      Such weird rust. Floor pans still seem to have factory paint on them yet the frame around it couldn't stand the test of time. Such a shame.

Seats should do me well. Got home from seeing you around 9:30am and was outside until 3pm cleaning them up. They cleaned up really well for 30+year old seats.

Back seat had a bunch of sand ingrained it in....even with the pre-vacuum the upholstery extractor still pulled a bunch of sand out. Ever took that car to the beach? Steamer helped out too with some matted spots. All in all I am quite pleased. All that's left to do it pull my existing seats apart to swap on the proper two door hinges and other trim bits I have and put them into the car.

Quick tip on a pillar trims...dash pad removal is required to sneak them out.

Erik. Check for those braces from under engine k member to behind control arm frame on your 87. If it does not have it (my 87 did not) just swap those puppies over before the car goes off to the big junkyard in the sky.
      Agreed, the rust is really strange. The floor pans are in PERFECT condition. No idea how the frame is so bad in spots. It's not even like the AC was dripping onto that side as it hasn't worked in forever and a day. Maybe the trim that goes around the roof at the edge of the vinyl is leaking water and it's dripping down the inside along the edge of the body onto the frame? (that would put it right around the trans cross member). I remember a long time ago I ran across a for sale ad for a clone (or maybe one of the ones used in the movie) of the Blues Brothers 2000 CV and the frame was completely gone at the trans cross member.

Glad the seats are going to work for you! No, didn't really take it to the beach that much. I'm betting that sand is from camping. I always took the car to every camping trip and places like Cedar Point or Sears Bellows, the camp sites are all really sandy. I haven't vacuumed the car in a few years which doesn't help.

Thanks for the tips! I would have completely forgotten to take those braces.

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
      Wish I wasn't so far from you. I'd love to swap in a set of vent window doors on my '90.
      I'm actually going to keep the whole doors as my doors on the GM are in pretty rough shape on the bottom. I'm not planning on swapping them just yet because I like the two tone of the GM and don't want to worry about trying to match the doors paint up just yet (if even possible).

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
      Make sure you pull the hood to cowl seal if it is in good shape. Also the hood hinges. Those are nice to have spare parts.
      Good call! I would have missed those. I'll make sure to pull them as well. Thanks.

Stripping of the car continues...
      • Exhaust is now off. Three of the four bolts snapped right off. I guess that makes removal easier
      • Transmission linkage, TV, electrical connector, speedometer cable all disconnected.
      • Transmission mount disconnected.
      • AC chopped out with the cut off wheel.
      • Engine mounts loosened.
      • Starter wire disconnected as well as engine ground wires.

All that's holding the engine in now is just the engine mounts. Next step is to finish pulling stuff from the body and then it's time to pull the whole engine/trans out. Moving along nicely!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post
        Agreed, the rust is really strange. The floor pans are in PERFECT condition. No idea how the frame is so bad in spots.
        Sort of like The Ice Car. Body is nearly non existent but somehow the frame and underside look like a different car.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Agreed, the rust is really strange. The floor pans are in PERFECT condition. No idea how the frame is so bad in spots. It's not even like the AC was dripping onto that side as it hasn't worked in forever and a day. Maybe the trim that goes around the roof at the edge of the vinyl is leaking water and it's dripping down the inside along the edge of the body onto the frame? (that would put it right around the trans cross member). I remember a long time ago I ran across a for sale ad for a clone (or maybe one of the ones used in the movie) of the Blues Brothers 2000 CV and the frame was completely gone at the trans cross member.

Glad the seats are going to work for you! No, didn't really take it to the beach that much. I'm betting that sand is from camping. I always took the car to every camping trip and places like Cedar Point or Sears Bellows, the camp sites are all really sandy. I haven't vacuumed the car in a few years which doesn't help.

Thanks for the tips! I would have completely forgotten to take those braces.

teaser....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	1289185
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Seats look good. Be sure to Scotchguard those seats. Cheap prevention from spills and stains.

Comment

PM sent regarding parts off this '89. They would be used for Eva's restoration.
              '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
              '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
              '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Seats look good. Be sure to Scotchguard those seats. Cheap prevention from spills and stains.
                Yes. After a 8:1 super clean soak....drill brush agitation....plain water extract I went back over everything with an extractor solution which had scotchguard in it.
                ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

teaser....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56489[/ATTACH]
                  Yes. After a 8:1 super clean soak....drill brush agitation....plain water extract I went back over everything with an extractor solution which had scotchguard in it.
                  That's really awesome! The seats look great. Sorry you had to go through so much work cleaning them. They were definitely a bit neglected over the years of my ownership. lol.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

My friend came over after work today and we made a bunch more progress on the disassembly.
                    • More trim removed
                    • Rubber seals on doors removed
                    • front clip removed
                    • frame braces removed
                    • police front and rear sway bars removed
                    • trunk lid removed
                    • rear taillights and housings removed.
                    • bumpers removed
                    • hood removed as well as weather seal by the firewall
                    • headlight wiring harness removed
                    • probably more.

Front clip. I was happy to find out that the fenders are in awesome shape on the inside. I was worried they were going to be a hidden mess. The pic above makes it look like there's some rot but that's actually just some leaves.

That popcorn bucket from 2018 works well as a "i'll never find where this bolt went to" dumping ground.

End of the day:

Parts laying about before bringing them inside.

Tomorrow hopefully the engine and trans are both coming out.
                    Last edited by slack; 06-18-2021, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Cool, nice work.
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

That's really awesome! The seats look great. Sorry you had to go through so much work cleaning them. They were definitely a bit neglected over the years of my ownership. lol.
                        No worries. Good excuse to bust out the bissell that so rarely gets used.

Never seen the entire front clip removed as an assembly like that. Cool!

Soon there will be nothing left.
                        ~David~

Comment

Let me know if you decide to get rid of the driver side inner fender. I could use it on my 90 CV.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                            Cool, nice work.
                            Thanks!

No worries. Good excuse to bust out the bissell that so rarely gets used.

Never seen the entire front clip removed as an assembly like that. Cool!

Soon there will be nothing left.
                            Yeah, I wasn't expecting it to come off like that either but my friend who is helping me with this was taught to just pull the whole front off in one piece when stripping cars. After it was off, it made taking the center support off pretty easy.

Let me know if you decide to get rid of the driver side inner fender. I could use it on my 90 CV.
                            Sure. I'll definitely let you know if I plan on parting with it down the road.

Friday, after work, engine and transmission came out:

I don't currently have an engine stand and the local Harbor Freights were out of stock. Online is about 2 weeks to get one. So, for now, it's in my garage sitting on this little dolly that's screaming in pain from the weight of everything. The wood already made a popping sound when we lowered the engine/trans on it and one wheel is definitely toast. I guess I got my one use out of it which makes it a harbor freight success story. lol

Comment

Just to let you know, 90-91 drivers side plastic inner fenders are different from 89 down. The top area where the vacuum pod/relay holder is different. WagonMan
                              89 Colony Park
                              90 Colony Park
                              70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Very good thanks. 90-91 only then.

Comment

Working...
                                X