No announcement yet.

Bad intake gasket? Or cracked intake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well the car made it back! Only changed the oil once before I left and drove it back with no problems. I haven't checked the oil since I got back but there aren't any leaks or smoke to be seen. It will be sitting for a while, but all that matters is that I got it home. I also got $152 for selling back my school parking pass.

Not having to spend money on gas also means I can save up more for another car. I might be looking at a '94 BMW 525i. 5-speed, V8, and in good condition. Only downside is that it has 242,000 miles (same as my Lincoln!) on the odometer but the engine has already been rebuilt at 90k. There are other little things that need attention but the seller is going to fix those before selling. It might be worth a look once the time comes.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

I will belabor the point once again. If you think repairs for fords are high don't buy an old bmw.

Back to you car, is the oil clean, no water? Is the radiator/overflow full?
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
        I will belabor the point once again. If you think repairs for fords are high don't buy an old bmw.

Back to you car, is the oil clean, no water? Is the radiator/overflow full?
        I never said ford repairs are expensive. I just simply don't have time to constantly work on it while being in school. I'm looking at several different cars right now more along the lines of a ZX2 (5-speed of course). I've been thinking about the BMW because a family friend is selling it and might be willing to cut a deal. As of now, it's just one of many options.

I just went outside and checked the fluids now that the engine has cooled down. Oil does have some coolant in it and I can see some kind of oily-film in the coolant. The overflow is empty but it was also empty when I left. Coolant level has stayed at close to the same level throughout the trip. Surprisingly enough the engine ran just fine and it wasn't smoking by the time I shut the car off.

Comment

unfortunately, anything OLD will require some work here and there. No matter what you get, you'll have to work on it. The Suzuki Esteem I had in college (decent mileage ~30mpg with a stick) puked the alternator, the trans (under warranty thank god), dropped the negative cable bolt off the engine (that was a PITA to figure out and then fix), along with all the regular maintenance items. I'd call it a pretty reliable car too. Every single vehicle I've ever owned has needed the trans rebuilt at least once (the Mark so far is good), so I would actually consider that much standard maintenance.

That said... it looks like you have a gasket leak between the coolant and oil somewhere in the engine and that can be a PITA to track down, much less fix. I'd be more apt to do an engine swap/upgrade for a high mileage vehicle like that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

the oily film in the coolant worries me. Water in the oil could certainly come from an intake leak. Oily crap in the water can't though. The usual reason for that to happen is a bad head gasket. I'd be doing some further testing.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

A coolant pressure tester will help determine if the head gasket is at fault.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I'll definitely have to get that checked out! Luckily I don't have to drive it anywhere for several months so I can save up the money to fix it. If it does turn out to be a headgasket or what sly said, I may just go ahead and swap an engine. What do shops typically charge to do an engine swap? I know someone on a local CL is selling a 302 & AOD out of an 88 Thunderbird for $250

Comment

Go HO
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

I have definitely considered an HO swap. I'm probably going to have a shop do the work since I don't have the tools or experience. In the meantime I can start harvesting parts. Aside from the ECM, if I were to buy a used mustang motor would it come with everything I need? (i.e. intake spacer, tb spacer, injectors, etc.)

Comment

yup Mustang or Mark VII except the full stainless dual exhaust from the mustang/mark headers back.

Should change all gaskets, water pump, hoses, vac lines, tuneup, etc while engine is on the ground.
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

That makes sense. Are junkyard engines worth getting? Even if they come with some sort of warranty? The other alternative is from a private seller.

With the coolant, I just realized that the radiator did have some gunk in it. It's possible that the floating stuff I thought was oil was just gunk? I'll double check again tomorrow morning.

Comment

depends what they are from and the mileage.

There are magic test strips you can dip into the coolant to check for the presence of exhaust. That basically tells you if the HG is blown and leaking combustion gas into the coolant.
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The stuff in the coolant looks a lot like the brown gunk in the radiator. It's more clumped together and isn't spread out like oily film. I guess that's kind of a relief.

Comment

could be someone put Barr's Leaks in there at some point. Hopefully its that and not a blown head gasket. Worth checking if you can find the strips for a few bucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X