Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what kind of potential does the PI top end on a non PI bottom end have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what kind of potential does the PI top end on a non PI bottom end have?

OK so I'm getting ready to start pulling my motor apart on my 98 gm to rebuild and install my PI top end (which I am porting and polishing heads along with five angle valve job). I am curious as to what potential this set up will have with a proper tune and without the tune. I believe I will attain around 10.5 to 1 compression with this set up. Also I have installed custom dual exhaust and modified my stock intake plumbing to work with a 4" cone filter that I am fabbing a heat shield for at the moment. I also am installing a 3.27 gear set with a traction loc. Any suggestions while I'm in there? And guesses as to power it can obtain both per and post tune?

I could be wrong so I hope some one else can verify this.
    But I think a 10.5 to 1 compression ratio may require premium gas?

As for power, I can't say. But the gear change alone is going to be the best bang for the buck.
    Last edited by mcninetyone; 01-29-2014, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Premium gas is no problem, I only run 93octane anyhow. And I know gear change will be nice just trying to find a helper to assist me with that. I'll rip apart an entire car all except a rear diff and transmission lol

Comment

When I did my gear swap from 2:73 to 3:55 I just swapped out the whole rear end.
        Of course I was also going for disc brakes as well.

Comment

Yeah I have disc brakes already, and unfortunately I got my diff from an explorer

Comment

I installed just a PI intake on my non PI motor and noticed a pretty decent power gain.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

So no one can guest image potential?

Comment

I don't know of anyone whose done a head swap... only intake or complete engine swap. I'd imagine that it would be a little better than the intake swap alone, but tuning would be required.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

With talking to my tuner he has told me it will be driveable pre tune but may run lean at higher rpms and will for sure need premium

Comment

Originally posted by wannabep71 View Post
                    So no one can guest image potential?
                    I'm sure the visitor has some unrealized pictures but have no idea what

Good luck

Pete
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                    1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                    1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Woops, damn auto correct. Meant guesstimate

Comment

Working...
                      X