1998 GMQ....I am confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1998 GMQ....I am confused

I have searched the forum...and am somewhat conflicted( I am not a gear head by any stretch) about what I have!

1. 1998 Grand Marquis LS w/ dual exhaust
    2. Driver Side sticker.....under the AXLE section.....reads "X5"
    3. In the Glove Box there is a square white button that reads " trac off"

Do I have the HPP Package? And if i do....

1. Could I put KYB shocks all around? (I have heard to make sure to have the button in the trunk pushed off I believe)
    2. Plastic Intake.... to what kind? What is the typical part cost and labor?
    3. Trans cooler....part type and cost and install, as well.

any other mods out there....that are common?

and of course..... thanks!!!!!
    Last edited by Grand1; 02-07-2014, 03:50 AM.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Do you know if you have rear air ride?
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

1- yes, you can put in any brad shock you want. 2-allthentakes re plastic(new/old) The difference is, the coolant crossover at the front of the intake. The updated intake has an aluminum cross over, instead of a molded in plastic one. Can be a $500-$1200 job.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

It does sound like you have an HPP package, the X5 is a 3:27 rear gear which is what HPP's came with, plus the duals.
        Does it have a rear sway bar? I'm guessing that it does.

The dealer wanted $1200 to do the intake swap, I did it at home for under $150 and that included a new serpentine belt.

Comment

My town car was just over $600 but, I also did water pump, bypass tube that is under the intake and a full tune up/coolant flush at the same time.

Comment

And based on the switch in the trunk you have air springs.

duals,
            +air springs,
            +3.27
            = HPP package
            What wheels do you have?
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Thanks for the prompt responses gentleman!

If I do have air ride, would that matter if I put the KYB shocks in?
              The transcooler....is it relatively an inexpensive repair/replace ( I got a got mobile mechanic that comes to my house and charges me like 1/3 of dealerships)

...on another note what is a good source for the intake....Car-Part.com or brand new?

Comment

Thanks for the prompt responses gentleman!

If I do have air ride, would that matter if I put the KYB shocks in?
                The transcooler....is it relatively an inexpensive repair/replace ( I got a got mobile mechanic that comes to my house and charges me like 1/3 of dealerships)

...on another note what is a good source for the intake....Car-Part.com or brand new?

Comment

the air ride consists of air springs, that take place of the coil springs. Shocks are a separate item. For the intake, I would look for an original ford replacement if you can. If not, shop around. For the money, I would not mess around with used. That's just me.

Comment

Thanks for clearing things up...for real, mang

Do people replace the air springs with enhanced versions or deleted them out with something better? ( I want to turn this GMS towards a police cruiser/ its got the axle for it anyway......)

Comment

People do replace them with coils. Typically this is done to go cheap when an air ride component fails. I would not suggest going with coils as you lose the ride characteristics and the automatic height adjustment when passenger and cargo load changes.
                      There are different air springs available. There is a limo grade (heavy duty) spring from Arnott. A stiff suspension is not always the best for the street as you can lose traction on rough surfaces, not to mention dealing with a harsh ride.
                      Many folks make changes to theses cars based on personal preference and just for the heck of it so do what you feel.
                      Also got to say, love those HPP optioned cars.

As far as gears and differentials go, many if not most police cars do not have a posi rear. 3.27 was a popular gear for many panthers of all types from mid 90's to 11. Posi like most things is a trade off. You gain improved traction under hard acceleration (no one wheel peel) and conditions such as mud and snow.
                      The down side is you can lose traction under tight turns with hard acceleration and or slippery conditions and or rough road surfaces.
                      Last edited by jaywish; 02-07-2014, 04:36 PM.
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Ahhhh....its making more sense!
                        I see the remote air ride (both dual and single) compressors on Rock Auto....looks kind of slick to add the analog....something to ponder.
                        BTW..... Jawish, the wheels are aluminium.

I got $2500 to work with here.....it just turned over to 94,000 miles today...oh the obsession begins...imagine if I could turn a wrench

Comment

New Rotors/ Centric Calipers with ceramic pads
                          KYBs all around....the car is driving awesome!

So I have heard the debate about the Dorman intake...and FRAAP or something. Any new thoughts or opinions on this?

I want to add more power, and control without sacrificing the comfort of the ride. The Police Interceptors....what do they have I dont?
                          Last edited by Grand1; 02-15-2014, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand1 View Post
                            New Rotors/ Centric Calipers with ceramic pads
                            KYBs all around....the car is driving awesome!

So I have heard the debate about the Dorman intake...and FRAAP or something. Any new thoughts or opinions on this?

I want to add more power, and control without sacrificing the comfort of the ride. The Police Interceptors....what do they have I dont?
                            FRPP(Ford Racing Performance Parts) intake is what came stock on the 01-04 Mustang GT's. It's also what I have on my 93.

The Police Interceptors have high idle time engines, tons of wear, tear and abuse.
                            Some have an external oil cooler.
                            Yup.
                            There is no difference between your car's engine and a Police Interceptor engine.
                            Power? Unfortunately, with these engines and cars, power is not cheap.
                            ----> http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...THIS-lt-PLEASE!!!!!!

Since you have dual exhaust, you may want to consider different mufflers. They'll increase the performance a little bit, but it will sound much more agressive and bettererer.
                            Also:
                            -under drive pullies
                            -PI Zip tube intake
                            - bigger throttle body and upper intake plenum.

Eventually you should upgrade to Performance Improved (PI) heads. They'll bump up your compression and horsepower. But you will need a tune. You'll need a tune for the ZIP tube as well because the Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor will be bigger(if you get the Zip tube with the built-in MAF[80mm]).

Or a better idea could be to just swap in a PI motor and not deal with the head change. But if you do the head swap, you'll gain a little bit more compression because of the PI heads on a Non-Performance Improved(NPI) motor.
                            Pi motors starte in Panthers in 01+ and Mustangs in 99+.

-ryan s.
                            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                            Originally posted by pantera77
                            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Working...
                            X