Old Rekindled Flame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Rekindled Flame

I have a Grand Marquis thats been sitting up for about a year and a half now (I went to college and there were a lot of things that needed repairing dont judge me ). I want to get it back in running order. I'm going to siphon out the old and put in fresh gas, change the oil, flush the radiator, replace the plugs and wires. Would I have to concern myself the transmission fluid and things like that?

If the fluid is old, it may be due for replacement anyway. If it wasn't too old before being parked, I'd just make sure its topped up and not worry about it. Check or change the oil in the rear too. Nobody ever does that. If you can, suck out as much brake fluid from the master cylinder and the power steering fluid reservoir as you can, and replace with fresh. Turkey basters work for that. Thats more of a general maintenance suggestion, not specifically because its been sitting. I'd change the fuel filter too, and make sure a mouse didn't build a nest in the airbox.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I suggest changing everything since it's been sitting over a year.

Motor oil

Trans fluid drain and fill and filter

Full brake fluid flush...it's easy with a one man bleeder or one way bleeder valves. Brake fluid absorbs water and should be changed regularly anyway.

Rear diff oil for sure

Coolant

Power steering fluid

It's always worth having a fresh start when you bring a car back from being off the road. Additive packs in motor oils and gear oils does degrade with time and temperature changes, especially when things aren't heated up regularly by driving. Water gets in to all kinds of places and seriously degrades all your lubricants. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
      X