(Question) Light Smoke Coming From Behind Block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Question) Light Smoke Coming From Behind Block

I've recently noticed that there is some light smoke coming from behind the block in my 91 Grand Marquis GS. Occasionally i can notice a burning/hot smell.

However the car runs fine and it isn't overheating.
    There are no warnings lights illuminated either.

Any idea what this could be?
    Your informed input is appreciated.

Coolant leak. Oil leak is bluish smoke. Check your oil to make sure you don't have coolant in the oil too.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Comment

May be rocker cover gaskets leaking oil on manifolds, intake-oil galley gasket leaking or the PCV valve has poped out of its grommet. Some what common on cars with original parts. The smoke ad smell is more noticeable when, the engine is loaded up more, right?
      Last edited by marquisman; 02-11-2014, 09:59 PM.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by kodiak View Post
        Coolant leak. Oil leak is bluish smoke. Check your oil to make sure you don't have coolant in the oil too.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
        I will pull it in the garage and check the coolant tomorrow. It is definitely not a blue pigmented smoke. I recently changed the oil. I have noticed a minor leak, I think it is oil. It's been mixing with snow under the car so it dilutes it.

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
        May be rocker cover gaskets leaking oil on manifolds, intake-oil galley gasket leaking or the PCV valve has poped out of its grommet. Some what common on cars with original parts. The smoke ad smell is more noticeable when, the engine is loaded up more, right?
        What is the PCV valve? I have noticed some fluid on the plastic in the engine bay. One time the power steering fluid cap popped off because the previous owner didn't put it on right. (they didn't care either) Yes, the smell is more noticeable after driving for a while.

I appreciate the input fellas!

Comment

Positive Crankcase Ventilation. Its a valve that hides on the backside of the intake manifold. Its part of the vent system of the engine. Its held in by a rubber grommet, that goes hard over 20 years. I have had them pop out of their home before. I am going to say that, your rocker cover gaskets are the first thing to look at. If they are the issue, you will notice oily residue around the exhaust manifolds.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

+1 PCV + grommet + screen. replace all 3 and put some ultra black around the grommet before shoving it in. I've stopped puking near as much oil in my 88 since I did that. Still likes to undercoat the car as I drive, but not near as much.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

PCV trio should be done regardless, but it's a fair bet the valve cover gaskets, and possibly the rear lower intake gasket is leaking too. All of those are essentially maintenance items on these cars when they are this old.

http://crownvic.ca/forum/showthread.php?tid=1587
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

If it was coolant, it would smell like the most disgusting pancake syrup you could ever imagine. Oil just smells like burnination. Definitely agree on the PCV stuff, but don't be surprised if it needs valve cover and lower intake gaskets. Even if it does, making the PCV work will probably help reduce leakage from those spots.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X