Tming cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tming cover

The 5 liter short block I will be purchasing does not come with a timing cover. I'd like a new one for the engine build. Are mustang timing covers different from panther ones? I will be keeping this engine efi if it makes a difference. I am not well versed on this and would like to know the low down on timing covers so I do not purchase the wrong thing.

Thanks
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

looked on rockauto, the parts for an 89 crown vic and a Mustang are the same. though they have more choices for the Mustang.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

They are not the same.

Mustangs should be using a reverse rotation cover (lower right), vs the standard ours uses. That said, the 88 Mark VII engine in my car has the 88 Mark VII timing cover on it. It was absolutely identical to the stock 86 Towncar cover. It shouldn't have been, but it is.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I hear what you are saying Thain but it seems as if the aftermarket sites sell this style one
        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I do not recall swapping covers when the Mark VII motor went in. (12 yrs ago?) I did replace the waterpump.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Just found this video of an 89 mustang and its timing cover. Click image for larger version

Name:	89 mustang timing cover.png
Views:	1
Size:	843.2 KB
ID:	1273778
            ~David~

Comment

Damn!!! I just ordered what I found off of a search for '96 351W timing chain covers. I got one from Ford Racing, but looking at the pics above, it looks like I got one with a crankshaft sensor mount. I thought it was a dipstick port. Beginning to wonder if I got the wrong cover. I will have to wait and see when I pull that engine apart.

Packman

Comment

Sucks to hear Jacob.

Anyone with panther timing cover pics????
                ~David~

Comment

the crank sensor mount doesn't matter as long as its not actually a hole in the cover. Pretty sure that its external, so you ought to be good to go.

As long as the ports are not the reverse ports, the cover works. The ones with the holes going the wrong way won't seal to our water pumps.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

There's so much conflicting info on the CCW/CW stuff that I always get confused. The cover on my 89 is the one off a Mustang, but it was identical to what was originally on the car. I have a bunch of covers laying around and they all look the same. I think the one off an Explorer was the only major different one.
                    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

It seems if I purchase the one that I pictured way above that I will be okay.
                      ~David~

Comment

And even if the crank sensor is a hole, thread it, and stick a pipe plug in it.

Alex.

Comment

I know for a fact the upper right cover is off a Mustang. I forget what the others are off of though. I think the lower right is off that 93 T bird motor I bought.

2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

the lower right is MN12 Turd or SN95, one of those applications with the retarded upper intake. I really dont know whats with the covers. By all rights, that upper one shouldn't be from a Mustang, but I completely believe you when you say thats what it came from. I know thats what was on the Mark VII, even though everything I know about which direction that pump spins says it should not be the correct cover. The pump won't mate to the cover that is supposed to be for a reverse rotation pump tho, so wtf.

Comment

I went through this same exact thing. The chart above tells you that the timing cover on the bottom right is for a reverse rotation pump. It very well may be, but that doesn't mean that if you have a reverse rotation pump that you necessarily have that timing cover. In other words an apple is a fruit, but a fruit is not necessarily an apple. We have standard rotation pumps. The mustangs have reverse rotation pumps but don't use what this chart lists as a reverse rotation cover. Our timing covers are the same as the common fox mustang 5.0 cover. They both use the same cover.
                              Last edited by 87stars_stripes; 02-22-2014, 10:47 PM.
                              87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
                              Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

Comment

Working...
                              X