'69-'70 351W heads on EFI 5.0 HO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'69-'70 351W heads on EFI 5.0 HO

I have a line on a set of '69-'70 351W heads for 100 bucks. Was wondering if anyone has used them on the 5.0L.

My uncle has several goodies for these heads, which might make them more appealing. I believe he said that he has a set of stainless valves, and some roller tip rockers that will work. I think there was more, but anyway...

Anyone have anything to say about them?

Edit, I believe he (the parts guy at NAPA, known him for years) said he has a set of heads from a 2 barrel engine, and from a 4 barrel engine. I think.
    Last edited by HiFiMerc; 02-21-2014, 06:13 PM.
    1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Those 69-70's are great stock heads! The best if you insist on using original heads on an original engine.
    But I understand that Explorer GT-40 and GT-40P heads flow better than 69/70 351W heads.
    Ford used 351C heads on the original BOSS 302.
    But to answer your question, In my opinion the 351 heads would be an improvement over the E6 or E7 heads.
    Before doing the swap I would check out where the compression ratio is going to end up among other things

Comment

Compression goes up just a bit couple 10s think it is real close to 9.0 to 1. Roller tip only rockers are a sales gimick and dont realy do much except make it a pain center the tip contact. The 40s and Ps do flow a bit better not much better and mostly on the exhaust side. 40s and Ps are 69 W head intakes and old 260 exhaust ports revisited.
      All of them flow the same ported correctly except the P heads which dont have enough room for the larger intake valves that can be used in the 40 and 69W heads.

I run the 69 W heads ported with larger valves in Creamy.
      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Ok, sounds like people still like them these days. I read somewhere, that it uses a spark plug which is harder to find in various heat ranges. Is there any truth in that?
        1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

69/70 351W's use the fatter plugs that Ford used in every engine they sold (6 or 8) for decades!
          I've never heard of a problem with the various heat ranges available.
          the 69-71 351W was a good engine.

Comment

The DOOE heads use 18mm threads. The issue with plugs is that everyone quit making the equivelent of BF-32 plugs. This was probably the most common plug used in all the older HIPO Ford engines and mild to mid performance up grades. The old 240 6s some 300s, 289 HiPo, 390GT, 428 cobra Jets, 427s and such ran BF-32s. It probably one plug they should never have quit producing. The only plug close is Accel's 0375. All else is either too hot or too cold for an engine such as in Creamy. My 460 would like BF-32s also but since Accel moved manufacturing of their plugs to the CZ Republic they changed they repositioned the nut so in a 460 with recessed plug holes you better have a thin wall socket ground down down to hopefully remove the plugs. Not as bad on SBFs but close.
            Another option is for 75.00 there are adapters that can be installed to run the smaller plugs with a wider selection of heat ranges. Issue with them is I know of no one running them in a daily driver just race cars mostly the 460 guys. So I DONT KNOW IF THERE ARE ANY LONG RANGE ISSUES WITH THEM Running for years before changing plugs. Wouldnt expect anything serious. Just things like would the screw in adapter come out with the plug or not or some of both.

Comment

I asked the guy that has them. He says he can get various heat ranges for them.

Edit: I believe he said the compression ratio would be around 9:1. Right in the neighborhood of a stock HO if I'm not mistaken.
              Last edited by HiFiMerc; 02-22-2014, 04:12 PM.

Comment

i DONT REMEMBER FOR SURE BUT THE E7 heads are 63cc and the Dooe heads are 59cc. I have done researched all the plugs close to heat range of BF-32s none are closer than Accel 0375s. Some clame to cover multable heat ranges like BF-42S clam to cover 32s but dont. The BT-32s are still availabe susposedly the same heat range as a BF-32 but they dont have the power tip and dont self clean as well. For what your doing you will most likely do ok with BF-42s my engine putting out 430 or so would and does do best with BF-32s had a set from a swap meet and they lasted longer than the AR-33s (similar to BF-22s) but foul out as there a bit too cold. 42s are way to hot.

Comment

I think these heads are the C9 casting. But I think they used the same plug.

And I keep seeing everywhere that the GT-40P head is superior. I'm starting to lean more towards those.

Comment

100.00 is a lot cheaper than usall price for 40s or Ps. Performance wise you will never feel the differance between the heads.

Comment

Another question. Will these heads support future mods? Mods such as a rumpety rump cam, bigger intakes, etc?

Comment

the E7s will support everything that's bolt on for a mustang gt up to 93?

porting will help.

as always, match the cam to the total setup at the time for best results.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Forgive me, I'm a n00b at engine building. "match the cam?"

Comment

The Dooe or in your case C9 (same thing) there are also some D1s AND 2s that are big port and some boat motors and the 40s are the best for port work. Bigger valves have some issues hurting air flow with P heads.

The 40s and the C9 heads ported flow the same about 235 to 240 @ .500 lift from my shop. Wont guaranty head flow from other shops. Have flow tested other port work from other shops that dont come close. Thats enough air flow to support around 495 HP with the right intake, cam, exh.

Comment

I have 1 set of RF-9Y's from who knows what app that are the 18mm thread.
                              Maintaining Grandma's 84 CFI GM for her

Comment

Working...
                              X