Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody Cut P71 Springs for their Big Brake Swap on a Box Panther??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody Cut P71 Springs for their Big Brake Swap on a Box Panther??

I'm getting ready to cut and install my 00 P71 front springs tomorrow. How much should I cut off them? Any of you guys successfully cut a pair of these? I'm thinking of taking 3/4-1 full coil off.
    87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
    Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

hope you have your fender lips rolled

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

yeah, not advised. I had to replace a fender, the trim, and a tire after trying to lower the front end of the car a bit using box police springs. It smashes the hell out of the wheel well if you have to turn and hit a bump at the same time. As long as you never have to do that, it works. Driveways are basically off-limits.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'm actually thinking to put PI springs on my 93 to raise it up a bit since the tires get so friggen close to the fenders. I'll probably add load leveler assist bags to the rear springs eventually too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Well, this sucks to hear, but I can't imagine that an inch drop will cause issues. The thing sits monster truck high in front. I plan to cut off a 1/2 coil to start. Most the 88 towncars I've seen sit slammed in the front as if ford used a different spring beginning in 88, only explanation I can think of and wouldn't surprise me.
          87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
          Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

Comment

After several sets of springs, I ended up with 1986 Towncar replacements. It sits where it belongs. Whale GMQ springs put it at donk height, 80s police car springs was lowrider smash things up. The stock old springs sit low because they're usually worn out. New stock replacements are probably an inch higher than what you're taking out, assuming you are removing original springs.

I've just given in to the fact that I don't understand spring rates and all that enough to know how to calculate what the free height needs to be in order to give a desired ride height. I'll just let the people that designed the car do that part for me.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, I feel ya Gadget. Thing is that my car appears to have about 10 inches of travel in the fenderwell. I understand that if I am at a full turn and all of a sudden my suspension compresses that I will be pushing tire into the fender. I've owned a slammed mustang cobra and never had an issue like this. I can't believe this would be any more likely to happen in this Town Car.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              After several sets of springs, I ended up with 1986 Towncar replacements. It sits where it belongs. Whale GMQ springs put it at donk height, 80s police car springs was lowrider smash things up. The stock old springs sit low because they're usually worn out. New stock replacements are probably an inch higher than what you're taking out, assuming you are removing original springs.

I've just given in to the fact that I don't understand spring rates and all that enough to know how to calculate what the free height needs to be in order to give a desired ride height. I'll just let the people that designed the car do that part for me.

Comment

yea, gadgets car is why i do not think it is a good idea, too high it looks stupid, too low and it wrecks things.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

What kind of springs are you running on your rig?
                  Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                  yea, gadgets car is why i do not think it is a good idea, too high it looks stupid, too low and it wrecks things.

Comment

What springs does MrLtd run?

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

i'm running my original front springs.

town car sheetmetal is different and there is more weight on the front end, so what works on a vic or a grand marquis does not work on a box towny. you can install whatever you want, i would just hate to see you lose a tire or a fender or both entering someones driveway.

Comment

Originally posted by 87stars_stripes View Post
                        Yeah, I feel ya Gadget. Thing is that my car appears to have about 10 inches of travel in the fenderwell. I understand that if I am at a full turn and all of a sudden my suspension compresses that I will be pushing tire into the fender. I've owned a slammed mustang cobra and never had an issue like this. I can't believe this would be any more likely to happen in this Town Car.
                        FWIW, my 1989 MGM using the heavy duty option replacement for 1989 moog front springs would hit the inner fender when turning into my driveway too fast. I would not want my front end lower than stock height given that. Stock tire size as well.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                          i'm running my original front springs.

town car sheetmetal is different and there is more weight on the front end, so what works on a vic or a grand marquis does not work on a box towny. you can install whatever you want, i would just hate to see you lose a tire or a fender or both entering someones driveway.
                          Yep, important to remember that the Town Cars are 3-400lbs heavier, with a lot of that being in front of the front wheels.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Well, I cut exactly 9 inches of coil (approx. 1/2 coil) out of the spring and they ride fine. No issues so far.

Comment

after driving around for a while (some say 250 miles... some say 500) they should be fully seated and your ride height assured at that point.

pics!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X