1989 lincoln town car rear end replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989 lincoln town car rear end replacement

hay folks finally getting around to replacing the rear end in my lincoln town car and am having a hard time finding someplace that sells refurbished rear ends, gears barrings etc..any ideas? thanks Bradford

Generally no one sells "refurbished" rear ends whole. Your best bet is to rebuild what you have. The things that most commonly wear out, other than suspension bushings, are the bearings which are all available from rockauto, summit racing, or your local parts store. Sometimes the axle shafts are also damaged because the bearing rides on them, so you get scoring or pitting at the end of the axle shaft.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

yep, all the parts can be had. Its just a matter of emptying out the housing and replacing the bits in there. Now would be the time to add a traction lock carrier, rear discs, and consider changing the rear gear ratio if you had any thoughts on doing so.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        yep, all the parts can be had. Its just a matter of emptying out the housing and replacing the bits in there. Now would be the time to add a traction lock carrier, rear discs, and consider changing the rear gear ratio if you had any thoughts on doing so.
        Good point. It's essentially an all-day job. I think the "shop time" labour is something like 6 hours to pull everything out and put it back in. So if you're going to upgrade anything, that's the time to do it.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          gadget73 what all would you change and what ratio would you use?

Comment

That all depends on what you want from the car. Performance? snow traction? Highway mileage? Are you modifying the engine? If you just want it to behave like factory, don't worry about it.

Comment

yes engine mods are next..just getting a humm from the rear end so thought it should be first. just a mild upgrade. i drive it everyday and my butt has molded the seat very well over the last 300,00 miles

Comment

if it's not a trak-lok (limited slip/posi) already, you should consider putting that in. That and lower rear gears, probably 3.27-4.10 depending on how much you care about highway fuel economy. 3.27 is what I'm going to because I want to still do ok on gas at 80mph, but lots of guys run 3.73 or even 4.10 gears and don't regret it. All about the balance between keeping the RPM's low at high speed and getting that kick off the line.

Comment

300K? Nice. Here's to 300K more!

1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

3.27 that sounds workable.....live in the mts so most of its time is spent running Prius off the two lane roads...and its not a limited slip..that would be nice...

Comment

it may be a 3.27 already. Towncars had a 3.08 or 3.27 usually. I'd go at least 3.55, but thats just my 2 cents.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I love the 3.55s in my vic and 88. the Mark has 4.10s and that runs into speedo calibration issues (it marks about 10 low at 70).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

thanks guys have made my parts list for the rear end so it and the trans rebuild are planned..while everyone is in a rear end kind of mood noticed on one thread that someone had placed larger breaks on the rear end..searched the thread and didn't really see anything..could someone clue me in on this also..I want to keep my finned wheels if possible

Comment

C clip eliminators! Grab em and be worry free lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

cruso ... do you know what ratio you currently have ? and what size brakes (drum or disc ) do you have and what size you looking for ?

Comment

Working...
                              X