Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

one peeved owner. (more rant then question, sorry)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one peeved owner. (more rant then question, sorry)

I'm now the proud owner of a dead 1989 Grand Marquis..

Bought car off an old man last year for $500. Garage kept, zero rust, lovely car. rides like a dream after 4 new shocks. took car to walmart yesterday and had the oil changed. they never informed me of any issue. (too cold out to change my own oil, i'm not that mechanically challenged.) lol drove away with no problems. going down the road today. i notice my engine light coming on at idle and off when i'm accelerating. so i figured i'd take it to my friend who works at the locval ford deal.. well.. i never made it.. died on me in the middle of an intersection. made some weird noise and just died. with a passerby's help i pushed it off the intersection and called a tow truck.. towed to the dealer he works at and after work he looked at it and called me. told me my front drain plug is totally gone and the pans bone dry.. needless to say i'm a bit peeved right now and needed somewhere to vent. a 62 thousand mile engine gone..

what do you advise i do? he's willing to change the engine out for a used one if i help him but i've never done anything other then oil and plugs on a car before. or should i just cut my losses and haul it to the crusher.. (wish i could drive it through wal marts oil changing bay first)

Complain to Walmart and DEMAND THAT WALMART REPLACE THE ENGINE in your car and they will do it under the threat of a large lawsuit. It is the fault of Walmart so they should replace the Engine at no cost to you. Good luck.

Comment

I Already spoke (spoke used lightly) to the manager at walmart. Being there was more then 24 hours between the service and the failure they won't do anything (basically said "Prove it")

Comment

That's a load of horseshit if I ever heard. Call the corporate office and tell them what happened. Usually calling corporate gets you a lot farther than calling the store itself.

I used to work in retail (Petsmart) and if a customer called corporate about something one of us employees did wrong the store manager and district manager both got emails about it and the district manager would make a special visit to the store to investigate. Just about the same thing when I worked for monro muffler.

'93 T-bird
        '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
        '88 Mark VII
        '86 CV

Comment

Hmm. I'll have to make a call to corporate offices then.. never thought of that.. i talked to the store manager and got no where..

Comment

Definitely call the corporate office immediately! And refuse to give up if they balk.

Comment

A used engine in exchange for a nice, tight 62K mile engine? No way. Go after a new rebuilt one from a reputable supplier. Wal-mart screwed up, so now they should pay for it. And shitcan the dumbass who worked on it.
              1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

wal mart TLE

I used to work in a walmart tire and lube express up to april 2005

call the corporate office at walmart and demand a new engine.

what you need is pictures of the drain pan, missing plug, oil filter, and the original paperwork receipt for oil change.

walmart policy is to put a little dab of snot from a tube(different colors for different stores) on the drain plug and the pan. look for that.

get a written statement from the garage mechanic that says the engine is junk because of no oil in the pan. corporate may want 3 different mechanics to verify engine damage. keep putting the pressure on corporate office for an engine.

Comment

Hell yeah beat the crap out of them, and I second a rebuilt engine. Don't hesitate to call your state attorney general, sometimes a call from some fancy politician is enough to straighten giant assholes right out.

Sometimes not though. Game face! Take notes. Who you talked to, time, what was said, etc.

Pete
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                  1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                  1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

friend of ours that works for walmart told us they've had to replace a few engines because of this. usually they put the drain plugs back in but forget the oil.

he said 1 engine after all said and done cost walmart over 10,000. I believe this was a new/newer car and he demanded a new motor installed by dealer.
                    ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
                    ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

You should definitely get a new engine after this.

Follow what everyone has said. Go higher than store level into corporate. Document EVERYTHING, save the receipt and make copies, take down all names of people you've dealt with, have the mechanic who checked your failed engine make a written statement. If they keep giving you the runaround, I'd go to the Better Business Bureau and any local news media and get the story out! If they don't respond to threats of taking legal action, then you'll have to go to a lawyer.

sigpic
                      - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

wow. didn't expect so many people on my side. lol figured i'd get chewed out for going to walmart. i'm surprised it ran as long as it did with no drain plug. i called corporate and am now waiting for a return call from the district manager from this area

Comment

Hey, it could happen ANYWHERE and certainly NOT your fault!! Document EVERYTHING and stay on their shit till you get a good engine put back in at their expense!!! Bobby

P.S. My Law degree is in Intellectual Property Law but I am good at this kind of stuff so PM me if you run into any difficulties!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

To see the mechanic's face after PO'D-MERC pulls away and he notices the pan plug still sitting in the drain pan.
                            1987 Grand Marquis LS (GONE!)
                            1990 Grand Marquis GS

I like to go fast

Comment

Prime example of why I change my own oil..................
                              Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

Working...
                              X