PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: one peeved owner. (more rant then question, sorry)

Proud Owner Of A 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis! miamibob's Avatar

Firstly they will try to drag this out and hope you give up (or if legal advice is required, run out of money). If that fails they may offer something cheap like a JY engine. DON"T FALL FOR ANY OF IT! Hold out for a new/reman engine installed correctly by Ford or a real good mechanic.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

. Talk to a lawyer. Don't bring a knife to a gun fight

It's hip to be square! 84GrandMarquis's Avatar

Fight this one to the bitter end. It was there fuck up and by God they'll pay for it. You can win this and don't let there lawyers and managers try to trick you & make you think otherwise. And don't be hard on yourself for taking it to Walmart, there the one's who should feel badly for messing up your car. I once payed a crack head to fix my car so I'm not really one to talk, but I personally wouldn't even trust Walmart to screw in a light bulb.

I would demand that the engine be installed at a Ford dealer. That way, every single thing they install, is an OEM part (assuming it's still available). That way, it will be done right, and cost the most at Wally World's expense.
    1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

District manager offered me 2 choices...

$1000 Wal mart gift card or a Used engine installed at a mechanic of their choosing because of the age of the vehicle..

will be consulting a lawyer tomorrow..

Certified Yeti Trainer grandpaslincoln's Avatar

This story makes me angry, and it didn't even happen to me.

I'm sure the mechanic of their choosing will be the same dipshit that didn't put the front drain plug back in.

Hope everything works out for the best.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Proud Owner Of A 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis! miamibob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PO'D-MERC View Post

$1000 Wal mart gift card or a Used engine installed at a mechanic of their choosing because of the age of the vehicle..

will be consulting a lawyer tomorrow..
    NO AND NO!! As I said, document everything and work it up the corporate ladder as this guy is useless. Then price it all out at a Ford dealership. Price of new/reman engine and labor. Have this documentation ready to fax. Hold off on the lawyer unless it is a "pro bono" case (free). $1K gift card or "mechanic" of their choice are BOTH not acceptable options. They are trying to see if you are stupid/desperate enough to accept those two bad offers. DON'T ACCEPT EITHER ONE!! Let us know what happens...

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Conception Bay South, Newfoundland and Labrador

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke! Get your new engine out of them, whatever it takes. It's only right!

Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 292,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
    Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 237,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Fuck em! Take em for all you can! Sorry about your Catt man it sucks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I post a lot...

DO NOT TAKE THEIR CHEAP OFFER!!!!!!!!!!!!! Make em pay for the NEW engine not a cheap JY engine if you still get no satisfaction complain to your Attorny General's department of Automotive repair and I garruntee they will do something like make Walmart pay for a new engine like the guys said DOCUMENT EVERYTHING AND SAVE EVERY PICE OF PAPER PERTAINING TO YOUR CAR AND WALMART, note the time and name of persons who call you regarding your car and stand firm on the issue of a NEW engine. So good luck to ya.

All excellent advices! Just don't give up.

As was mentioned, this has happened at Walmart a lot more than once and they've had to shell out. This also used to happen at quick oil change places that replaced the drain plug and oil filter but did not tighten them properly causing the oil to eventually drain out. They were then liable for an engine replacement. The common practice now at these places is to way overtighten everything so nothing falls off....real talent. This is just one example of why no one but me touches my cars. Best of luck to you and I'm sure you will prevail!

Definitely don't give up and definitely don't let them push you around. A missing drain plug is a missing drain plug no matter if it's a 1989 or 2014.

'93 T-bird
    '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
    '88 Mark VII
    '86 CV

GMN Regular

Quote Originally Posted by grandpaslincoln View Post
    This story makes me angry, and it didn't even happen to me.
    x1000!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PO'D-MERC View Post

The oil tech they chose to change your oil couldn't even put a drain plug back in an oil pan, and you're supposed to trust a mechanic they choose to choose a good USED engine and replace it?

Fuck them.

If I had any idea how to do it, I'd say the media should get a hold of this one, and then seeing if trying to go cheap on this one is worth the cost of the negative publicity!

And, yeah, they might find out you paid only $500 for the car? So what? The car was worth FAR more than that, and frankly, a new motor is probably still a bargain compared to "get me a big car with 64,000 miles that runs perfectly and was flawlessly maintained".

Ugh, I'm not even thinking completely straight right now....
    1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
    Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
    Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
    Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

They now admitted fault! That was their first offer. They will send you to a Ford dealer if you keep pushing. Don't give up!!!

89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
    13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
    "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Go take a bath! Go milk your goat! Piece-it pete's Avatar

This man understands how it works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1tXS-NqT9I

Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
    1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
    1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

yep, you've got'em now. Keep pushing for the new engine. Consider getting an estimate from a high-end/performance shop or ford dealer now so you can have it ready when they finally give in.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

I once owned a box panther... BuffaloRider's Avatar

There isn't anything for me to say that hasn't already been said, get those fuckers! That's not the kind of mistake you make when it's your job to do oil changes. Seriously, what the hell did they do, take off the plug, replace the filter, and not even put new oil in? Or did they put new oil in and just not notice that it was leaking everywhere? Either way that is negligent as hell and IF they saw the drain plug after you left they should have done everything they could to contact you ASAP.

If they aren't saying "we'll replace your engine with a new one" then they're saying bullshit. Good luck.

i'm thinking they put the plug in and someone forgot to tighten it.. I have an appointment for a free consult with a lawyer on Monday.

I once owned a box panther... BuffaloRider's Avatar

yeah, I guess that would be the most likely scenario, either that or complete absent mindedness.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast