Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just did the PI intake swap

Got the kit from ADTR. A couple of things:

....something my mechanic said kinda bothered me...he said the gaskets didn't match up....so he put some Blue sealant to compensate... I mean the whole reason why we do this is prevent leaks..( he also said that I caught it in time (98k on a 1998 GMQ).just have some jitters I guess.

...is it just a placebo or did I gain some horsepower?r....car seems to launch better in the low- mid range!!!

What mod should I do next, related to this? I see some cone filters or something......

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Just pull the restrictor out of the airbox inlet, its to quiet down intake noise.
    Gap plugs to .030!!! I gained 2MPG on the highway doing this.
    My turbo bike has a MSD 6AL and I gap the plugs to .025.
    65 Galaxie 500, 67 Mustang, 57 F350, 4- 77-79 LTD II, 68 LTD XL, 80 C V, 82 C V, 92 C V police, 74 P40, 92 G M
    10 yrs in Ford dealers, ASE Master Cert expired in '92, Forgot more than I remember, 15 yrs in speed shops,
    '80 Kaw KZ 1000 ST Turbo, converted to chain drive

Comment

What year is your car?....pre-01 were nPI and needed RTV sealant in places to compensate for a PI manifold.

Comment

Yeah rtv is needed around the coolant jackets when mating PI intake to non PI heads. You also need to cut the guide pins off. Not a big deal if it sealed right. That's how I did mine I just kept an eye on it for a couple of days to make sure.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

It should feel a little better (10hp-ish). Mid range is where I could feel a bit better increase.
          Next mod?
          Upper intake plenum and a bigger throttle body. Go 70mm or 75mm. I like my 75mm throttle body.
          You can try the Zip tube intake or go K&N. It's your choice.

-ryan s.
          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
          Originally posted by pantera77
          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by gearheadmm View Post
            Just pull the restrictor out of the airbox inlet, its to quiet down intake noise.
            removing the butt trumpet in the airbox makes it sound at least 25 hp faster. Probably good for some power, but it sure sounds better.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Gonna go with a a 75mm throttle body and throttle plenum.... I would need to change the MAP sensor , right?

Comment

Nope.
                You're thinking of MAF sensor. Mass Air Flow sensor. Stock MAF's can take some mods before needing to be upgraded.
                A basic upgraded MAF for Panthers is the 80mm Marauder MAF or a 90mm Ford Lightning MAF. You can find these all over eBay and other forums (svtperformance.com).
                Once you upgrade the MAF, you WILL need a tune to straighten everything out.
                You'll definitely notice increased throttle response with a new throttle body and upper intake plenum.
                Also, with your stock intake, it's going to take a little finagling to get the stock intake over the throttle body, but it will fit.

-ryan s.
                08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                Originally posted by pantera77
                Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

am i the only one too paranoid to touch the spark plugs on these cars?
                  Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

If you (or anyone else with a 4.6 car) plans to keep it, you should go ahead and cross that spark plug bridge. You can even prepare to be without a ride for a while, 'just in case'!
                    Panthers aren't nearly as bad as the trucks when it comes to spark plugs breaking. I've done at least 20-30 cars at work, no problems. But, I have seen a couple panthers from up north that have them blow out, usually after they had been changed somewhere else.
                    The longer you wait, the worse off they 'could' be. If you get it out of the way, no more worries. Just use a healthy bit of anti-seize...!
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Thanks for the correction and the suggestions, Ryan.
                      Interestingly, I had my spark plugs changed about 2 months ago ( OE gap)...my mechanic said they came out fine
                      .......after I asked if there was any burnt oil on them).
                      These things normally a bitch to get out I assume.

Whats the going rate for a dyno tune?

Comment

PI intake upps the power range about 1000 RPM over stock intake.
                        We have CNC porting programs for Non PI heads part of it is the match the port to the intake. Were the first ones to do that some still dont. Ported Non PI heads will actually flow more air.
                        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Ford Racing M9424P46 Intake Manifold

http://www.amazon.com/Ford-Racing-M9...ntake+Manifold

Is this what everyone is talking about?

Is there like a video or explanation (visual) of where exactly the rtv goes?
                          "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                          -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                          -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

sticky: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Manifold-Swap

this is for aeros (92-95) with the older non-plastic intake. If you already have a plastic intake, you don't need to worry about much other then the gasket interface stuff. All the heater pipe and water pump stuff will already be there for 96-2000 models.
                            Last edited by sly; 11-13-2014, 06:02 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

by gasket interface stuff, in this link you sent me, is this about putting the rtv on the head?
                              "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                              -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                              -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X