82 Merc Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 Merc Springs

been planning on doing a mild drop on the merc lately and ive been browsing the FAQs in the suspension section. i found what i was looking for but i wanted some feedback from you guys to confirm that im thinking correctly on this.

i found this and if im reading it correctly ill need the 925 in front and 175 in rear from the provided links and that will get me a 1" drop all around my car?

Default Lowering/performance Springs (by Blaze86vic)
    Original thread here

The spring rate for each spring are the last few digits in the Item#.
    The front springs available here! http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Street...rings,166.html
    The rear springs available here! http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Stock-...rings,168.html

These are both factory style, so no modifications are need to install these. It is a simple replacement with no hidden requirments.

To drop the front about 1" use the 925lb/in front springs.
    To drop the rear about 1" use the 175lb/in rear springs.

It's that simple. For your 1" drop. Since these are the lowest they offer, that is the lowest you can go with such simple procedures.
    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
    Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

also. when purchasing the spings from the links that are posted. are they sold individually or is that price for a pair?

it pictures 2 but says "sold in quantity: each" which im assuming means 1
    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
    Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

quantity each means singles. also, you can always call/email for clarification.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

They are sold individually, not as a pair. I just got the same ones in February, for all round my car.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Alrighty then.. 925's up front and 175's in back thanks guys

Comment

I was going to go this route on my '87, however to save some bucks I may instead cut half a coil out of the fronts and also replace the rear cargo coils (that are on the rear now) with a set of standard springs.

I can then add sandbags in the trunk to adjust the stance....I don't mind the extra ballast as this car will be a cruiser, not a racer and it will only cost me $55 for the rear springs...(plus the cost of sand.)

Comment

stop sandbagging and get on it!

... couldn't help myself ...

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

update on the project. got some parts rounded up from work. (i work at advance auto) totals adding up to around 150 with my discount. on the list i got new upper and lower ball joints, new inner and outer tie rods. new poly sway bar bushings and new heavy duty poly end link kit. and... (gritting my teeth here) im cutting my front springs 1/2 to 1 coil. after doing some HEAVY HEAVY research on this matter ive ONLY decided on it because of my money situation and because im not cutting a crazy amount. after looking around ive determined that 1 coil will get me around 3/4 - 1 inch of drop, exactly what im going for. yes it will affect my spring rate. i am aware of this but not enough to bother me. (keep in mind my driving style here guys, i rarely exceed 45 wherever i go) so i think it will be an OK compromise. worst case scenario... i have to buy legit springs...

i will have some pics posted up soon of the parts and the work in progress. this will be goin on next week.

that being said,

Comment

Look forward to your results with this.

Planning the same method on my '87.

Comment

I really would be using higher rate springs if you're going that route. Lower it without bumping the spring rate a fair bit and you risk bottoming out quite a bit on things. yes, cutting the springs will increase the effective rate somewhat, but probably not enough to make up for the loss of free height. Having driven a car with the heavier rate springs, I can tell you it works well on a Vic. It sits lower, handles well, and doesn't rip the exhaust off. I've tried the cheap route enough times to realize that it often just does not work, and is not worth the trouble. I'm old and grumpy now, I can't be arsed to do things more than once. Hell, I can barely be bothered to do it once.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ressurecting a dead post here... as you can probably assume, i have not done the spring yet, so im back with more questions. i read back through your guys comments and suggestions and im think of upping the spring rate. taking into consideration im pulling the motor and opting for a heavier 302 vs my tiny 255 i think its a good option. and for the rear im still working with the fact that i have a significant amount weight for the stereo system, be it amps, racks, and subs and the likes of things. so im gonna have to beef the rears as well.

all that said, do you think those spings would still work? the front i cant do anything with asside from springs, but the rear i have air shocks so i can stiffen it up if need be and ill also be dumping a PI swaybar on the rear so theoretically that will aid body roll and put less on the springs in terms of turning. if these will NOT work, what is the best route for finding the best option for my car? do i look for coil diameter, do i look at number of coils, width, height, etc. ideally id like to get a number to shoot for (such as spring height and width like the above listing have) and then take that number and shop around for pricing.

Comment

925 fronts seems to pretty much be the standard here these days, probably for a good reason I don't really know what the weight difference between the 255 and the 302 is, but I don't see it being more than 100 lbs. Those springs will pretty much laugh at that, won't even feel it.

For the rears, if you are concerned with the weight of your trunk space wasters (aka sound system), you can always up the springs to 200 lbs-in, those can be obtained from the same place as the 175s and the 925s and are also a fairly popular choice among this crowd.

I dislike relying on the air shocks too much - air suspension only rides nice if it has a lot of volume, the shock bladders being as tiny as they are they tend to ride like pogo sticks if you increae the pressure too much. About 60psi is the most I'd run in them to maintain decent ride quality, to put this into perspective that pressure is enough to lift the rear of a Panther by an inch and a half with factory rear coils and empty trunk.
                        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

255 and a 302 not much if any differance in weight. Either with SEFI would weigh about the same FI adds 100 150 lbs over carbed

bOX pANTHER IS ABOUT 4000 lbs. Front about 2500 rear about 1500. Divide the weight by the spring rate = amount of spring compression
                          1500 / (2x 200) = 3.75 Both springs at once
                          750/ 200 = 3.75 one spring at a time

Lets say the fee length of the spring is 14", subtract 3.75 from the free height compressed spring ht would be 10.25.

Take that 10.25 dimension and measure the spring loaded ht currently in the car and compare
                          Say compressed spring height in car is 12" subtract 10.25 = 1.25 apprx drop in ride ht over current springs
                          Last edited by turbo2256b; 01-29-2016, 05:39 PM.
                          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
                          X