Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Headunit in an 84 wagon - have some questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Headunit in an 84 wagon - have some questions!

Hi Everyone - wiring in a new headunit in my 84 wagon and an consulting the EVTM...it appears I have the "Electronic" factory head unit with "2 Channel" premium sound. From what I can tell, only the front door and dash speakers are run through the factory amp and the rear speakers are direct from the factory headunit...does that sound correct?

I have been reading other threads about "common ground" for the wiring to the amp which makes sense based on what I'm seeing. I assume I will have to wire the front speakers directly to my new headunit but I can use the existing wiring at the factory headunit for the back two speakers as there are two wires present for each rear speaker.

Also - I have 6x9's for the back of the wagon to replace the 5x7's...is there a trick or tactic to make them fit?

Thanks!!
    1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

To make things simple, you will have to re wire all the speakers. Two reasons. 1.common ground system 2.the factory wiring is old anyway. Re wiring the speakers on these cars is not hard and even easier on wagons.

But, if you want to cheat, you can use the existing wires for the speakers, so long you cut and spice after the amp. And all speakers should run off the factory amp. But who cares, it will be a paper weight when you install the new head unit.

To make things interesting, I installed newer premium sound amplifiers and harnesses to my cars before(from early '90s panthers). Nothing beats aftermarket amps though.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

To sum up this issue - EVTM knows all...I had electronic stereo head unit and a two channel amp that runs the front door speakers and dash speakers only. I was alble to use the wires for the rear speakers at the back of the factory head unit and I found all four wires from the front speakers (each side of dash and dorr speakers are wired together as a pair) in a 12 pin connector behind the passenger side kick panel. Just ran wires from there to the new headunit and everything works...factory amp is out of the loop!
      1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

I would believe that only the front speakers run through the amp. My Towncar was that way, though the EVTM does not show such a system. I know this was the case because the amp was unplugged when I got it, and the rear speakers played. From memory here, there were 4 wires heading to the back for the rear speakers, and I think 3 for the front. There were 4 from the amplifier back up to the front speakers. I'm currently using those original 4 from the amp to the speakers to feed from my aftermarket amp in the trunk to the door and dash speakers.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

On my '87, the amp controls the front and dash speakers.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Would the premium sound stereo in my 84 Town car also be common ground. From the looks of it it is. Looks like a system will be in order.

Tim
            2000 Ford Crown Victoria
            84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
            85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
            89 Lincoln town car: RIP
            89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
            1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
            1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
            2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Comment

Most probably, but it may be amplified front speakers only. If so, its probably got the normal 4 wires to the back for rear speakers, and a set of 3 heading back to the amplifier for the front speakers.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

gut it all and hardwire that shit son!. new cones in all 4 corners. toss some in the dash if youre feeling saucy, thread some 14ga. to em. then a 12" out back to round it up for a solid system. dont forget to brand match.
                Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Oh, don't worry about equipment I got plenty. still have everything out of my world champion, then some. LOL I just need to figure out what I want to put in the Towny.

Tim
                  2000 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Well almost 2 years later I finally got the head unit put in the Town Car. Making my wife happy. I was able to tap into the front speakers in the kick panels. Now to replace the AM/FM in the two door. But that may be getting a full custom system.

Tim
                    2000 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

LoL and I thought I was bad at getting to projects.
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                      X