Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1978 Caprice, the new on-going project! (Yes, I'm still alive!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 Caprice, the new on-going project! (Yes, I'm still alive!)

I've wanted one of these since I was 16, but ended up with my tan '84 Crown Victoria instead, which landed me on this forum. I just picked this one up in the summer for a shocking $500, and I love it!

Granted I still miss my black '85 Crown Victoria more than I can say in one post, but I needed a "new" project and this one fit the description just fine!

On to the pics! It sat under trees for a few months, so it was pretty filthy when I picked it up to say the least.

Shortly after the purchase, I had to start fixing and modifying the old beater lol.

Blacked out grille, just like the little trend I started on here many moons ago!

I had to pick up some new wheels too, those old AR's had to go.

I also took out the cluster overlay and painted it silver, to match the silver that's left on the outside of the car...

The engine bay's cleaned up quite a bit as well. This worn out 305 won't be staying under the hood though.

And of course I had to make it sound nasty too! Same setup I ran on the '85, except with 2.25" instead of 2.5" and no h-pipe for the time being.

1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
    1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
    1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Awesome ride!

Did you have to do anything to it to get it running? $500 is a steal!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Nope, she fired right up! I had to adjust the timing and the carb, along with re-route some vacuum lines properly, but otherwise it just needed some fresh gas in it, lol.

Comment

Well, holy crap! Welcome back mang! Decent looking caprice.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Ooohh nooooooo!!!

At least it's still big and boxy. You'll be back!!!
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Trust me, every time I see an old box I about break my neck checking it out lol. The memories of mine will never go away!

Comment

Super-cool Caprice!

Brings back memories...back in the mid-80's I had the Impala version, it was a retired NYC taxi and ran like a Timex watch, it was quite the conversation piece. Wish I'd kept it.

Comment

Sweet deal! I have a weird obsession for those old B-bodies.

'93 T-bird
                '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                '88 Mark VII
                '86 CV

Comment

meh.. shoulda bought my Lincoln

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Awesome! I like where this is going... Are you planning on dropping a 350 in it?
                    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Flip the air cleaner lid for the "call of the wild" quadra-bog moan

Buddy of mines mom had one, base car, roll up windows, locks and one color cream..........we used to howl it all over town as teens...........BBBBUUWWWWAAHHHHHHH!!
                      Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

+1 flip the air cleaner lid. did that with my parisienne (pontiac trim caprise). was a bit of a dog, but it would crawl up hills. that 700R4 was very happy to go.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I think I tried flipping the air cleaner and the bolt wasn't long enough, lol. I'm debating between a cheap 350 build, or finding the lesser used 400 small block. I hope to ditch the old TH200 for either a TH350 or a 4 speed as well.

Today it's finally getting a MUCH needed tune up and hopefully new shocks all the way around... they're all toast!

Comment

454 or nothing

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

700R4 for win!

Comment

Working...
                              X