Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1978 Caprice, the new on-going project! (Yes, I'm still alive!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It just acts like an open element air cleaner, you hear the carb sucking in more air with it like that too.
    1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
    1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
    1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Does it cut down on the filtered air coming in and allow more dirt to the carb?

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
        Does it cut down on the filtered air coming in and allow more dirt to the carb?
        No, it just sucks air in all around the air filter plus in through the snorkel rather than just the snorkel. All incoming air is still filtered.
        Gives carb'd cars a more aggressive sound, very similar to a cold air intake on EFI cars.
        I had a disc hubcap made up into a air cleaner top cover for an old 351 I had. Made it "whistle" similar to a blown car.
        Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
        Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

is sucking warm air in the snorkel... might as well suck more air from all around!

I did that with the 85 Parisienne I had... before I blew it up.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

It's just the cheap way of running one of these, lol.

Comment

Under the hood of my old C10:

And my Sierra before:

And now:

I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my stock snorkel. I would've made a dual snorkel with it had I been smart and kept it.
              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

So I had a few fun issues recently... Wasn't getting enough fuel, changed fuel filter on carb, got fuel back. lost spark, ignition coil tested bad. Replaced coil, lost spark again a day later. Control module tested good, got a new pickup coil, got spark again! Then stopped getting fuel again. Bent fuel pump pushrod. Replaced fuel pump and pushrod, now have fuel again! That was a fun adventure. At least parts are cheap, only set me back about $80 too.

I also got bored and got out my turquoise Rustoleum I painted the calipers with and painted up the rear sway bar! This thing is BRIGHT!

Oh yea... chrome dipstick tube, lol.

Last edited by murphmobile2; 08-03-2015, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Color looks good!
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Just a little bit of POR-15 action... Baby steps, baby steps...

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Comment

How are the Thrush glasspacks holding up? Have they gotten a lot louder over time? I was thinking about putting a pair on my car after I put headers on it, and I'd like a pair that doesn't eventually sound like no mufflers at all. How did they hold up on your 85 when you had it?

Comment

The glasspacks are so short... I don't think it's possible for them to get louder! Lol.

They held up real well on the '85, but I also ran the 24" glasspacks too. Did you get rid of your cats too?

Comment

Not yet, I will when I put headers on the car. Right now, it's cats only, no mufflers. I'd use real long glasspacks too, want a more mellow sound cruising.

Comment

Hmmm... Honestly, you'd probably be happiest with a pair of Magnaflows then.

Comment

Sorry I don't update much, too many projects going on at once, and not enough time for them all!

I did finally get to something today though... New diff cover with a fresh fluid change! Ebay chrome cover and some Castrol 80W90!

I'd say it was time!

Clean! And I found out it only has the 2.41 gearing... Too bad, but oh well.

Much better!

Comment

Working...
                                X