Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1978 Caprice, the new on-going project! (Yes, I'm still alive!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by murphmobile2 View Post
    Thanks everybody! I'm glad the old forum is still alive too!

...I'm also not sure a gauge came there on these, each one of those little squares is a dummy light, lol. Maybe it was just for symmetry... I'll have to ask on the Caprice page.

I'll tell you what's crazy about the blue gauges, they don't bother me one bit, but in my other car I have red gauges and I swear they make it harder to focus at night...
    Great way to pass the time, these forums are

Yeah, I'd like to know if there was something optional, please let us know what they say back at the other forum.

There are a lot of varying factors between the two cases that are accounting for that. Like maybe the gauge faces that accompany the red lights are white or the letters are. This will cause some of the white to be reflected back toward your retinas, resulting in strain.. My case in point is that you try this: Get a blue light (a dim one) set up with a switch or something. Have an alarm clock with the old school red display plugged in as well. Get that room nice & dark and then sit in it for about 20 minutes so your eyes can adjust to the darkness. After that time has elapsed, look at the red display first. You'll notice your eyes don't strain or hurt/adjust. Look toward the blue light, then turn it on and report back. There's a reason laptops & cellphones have the option to reduce blue coloration at night
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

So it looks like my cluster is about all the fancy it can get, lol. But... They had an optional cluster with fuel economy on it. I've gotta find one of these now!

I did also finally get my new wheels in the mail, classic black D window wheels! 15x7 and 15x8 of course!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
      1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
      1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
      1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

So much good space for cool gauges... but 1970’s GM and their MPG gauge! I remember reading about something similar in the owners manual of my mom’s 76 Cutlass. I want to see oil pressure and volts!
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Oh, that's neat. Probably just an unmarked vacuum gauge. I believe Lincolns had that too, although they used lights; red, yellow and green.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Good to hear from you! Looks like you've made some nice progress. I think it'll look sharp with those wheels. Now you just have to lower it
            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I never even knew they were an option, but once again, GM was getting into their odd ball 80's tech at that point, lol.

I do plan to lower it some too, but for now I'm ditching the rear air shocks and cutting a coil off of each of the front springs. That'll get it sitting right! Damn front end sits up super high!

Comment

Not much of an update yet, it rained a couple of days ago, went out with some 4000 grit and wet sanded the whole car down while it was raining. The car now has a dull shine, instead of just being dull.

I did fire it up again, even though I haven't moved it yet...

https://youtu.be/T01Ds5PW3F4

Comment

Sounds good to me.

Panning to polish up the paint now that it is sanded in 4000?
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                    Sounds good to me.

Panning to polish up the paint now that it is sanded in 4000?
                    Nah... I noticed the paint is wearing pretty thin finally. It honestly needs another respray, but it has been about eight years since I did it.

Comment

Wheels are on!

Comment

Working...
                      X