Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1978 Caprice, the new on-going project! (Yes, I'm still alive!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the pic above it looks like just the ps pulley is offset. I would think there's an aftermarket pulley out there that's further out to make it fit, something like a long snout pulley, or maybe pulley spacer. It'd be worth looking into, much less hassle to run 1 belt. I don't like the 2 belt setup on the lopo, if I were gonna keep my car I'd be removing the a/c and smog since a/c isn't working and just leave it with one.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      The V belt nonsense in the late 70s had gotten pretty bad. Motors had way too many things to drive in a sane manner with so many different belts. It sure was easier when they finally went serpentine in the 80s.
      This. Good god it was bad, wonder why it took so long for someone to think, "Gee, wouldn't it be nice to have one belt do everything?"
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Well, had problems keeping it running and had been diagnosing it the past two weeks... Found out the carb I had was no good. Traded it off for another 4160 Holley, so we'll see how this one does.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
        1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
        1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
        1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

If carbs are "bad" they can usually be rebuilt for much cheaper than a new one. I've got a 4160 Holley on my cammed 318 Plymouth, it's a 600cfm and that might be a tad too much. To me it's the poverty model as it doesn't have a metering block for the secondaries. It'll do just fine but you just get what you get in terms of flow, unless you want to drill and I don't recommend that. In your case while the carb is not on the car I would open that bad boy up to see what you've got in terms of main jets, power valve & the color of spring used for the secondaries. Do not take a carb that was running great on another engine and expect it to run great with your set up. You're going to have to mess around with accelerator pump cams, nozzles, main jets, idle mixture screws, secondary spring rates and the power valve to get the most out of it. The air horn (Thing the choke is mounted to) will have the serial number on it which will tell you exactly what you've got. If you don't already have a guide to help you along I can recommend at least one book that will get you up to speed, helped clear up much of my ignorance. You're going to want a vacuum gauge, Holley jet kit, accelerator pump cams, the quick change secondary spring kit, some power valves (once you figure out what kind of vacuum you get from your engine) and then some of those blue reusable float bowl gaskets and the little gaskets for the bolts that hold it on. You've got some fun ahead of you

Comment

A 390 cfm would probably do quite nice on a 305. A common mistake with motors is going too big on the carby.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yep. That book has a little calculation thing for how much carb you need. Doesn't take into account cam or anything, pretty much just displacement & RPM. Based on that my car should be running something like 550 IIRC. I bought that carb thinking it was a 650, when I decoded it after doing that math I was somewhat happier knowing it's actually a 600. Book states it's better to have a smaller carb than a bigger one.

Comment

Probably a 500 would be fine with the cam this 305 has. I had a 600 on my 350/290 in my C10 and it was enough for it. Would've rather had a Holley that I could tune, it was an Edelbrock Performer but it was fine for driving around.
                88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

I'm officially running out of time before the snow moves in, and I need to get it drivable so I can get it ready for storage.

The "new" carb was put on yesterday and it was leaking gas from multiple spots and also had none of the proper throttle linkages, so I just said screw it and bought a new carb. Same model, Holley 4160, 600 cfm. It was only $269 after my discount through work. I'd like to keep with the 600, so that way I can also use it later down the road too.

After he put the new one on, it fired right up like it's supposed to, so I'll be picking it up this afternoon!

I didn't want to spend the money, but I need it running and I'm done messing with it.

Here's a quick shot of it that he sent me from last night...

Last edited by murphmobile2; 11-21-2015, 12:29 PM.

Comment

shiny!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Used carbs are only useful as a rebuildable core. I've frankly never had one that was worth using without an overhaul unless it came off a known running perfect engine a week prior. Any amount of sitting just turns them to shit.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That's pretty much what I said too. Sell the other carbs and buy the stuff I mentioned. Car fired up and idled because the ole 2.5 turns from out on the mixture screws will do it for just about anything. Expect stumbles, hesitation and lousy performance until you tune that carb. Giving you tough love here but if you follow what I posted before you'll thank me later.

Comment

She sounds nice and healthy and has plenty of power with new carb all adjusted, but now the cables need adjusted as she won't shift out of first.

Side note - never use VHT clear coat. Valve cover gaskets weren't seated properly and leaked, now the sides of the block are yellowed horribly. Something else to mess with on my day off...

Last edited by murphmobile2; 11-22-2015, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Boom!!

I also made a sweet bracket for the back of the power steering pump, lol.

Comment

Great progress!

I do however notice a lack of burnout vids...

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

shiny!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                                Originally posted by gadget73
                                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                                Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X