Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1978 Caprice, the new on-going project! (Yes, I'm still alive!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is that left rear lower control arm bushing shell completely rotted through?
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I hope by 4 speed, you mean something with an extra pedal
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Yes Pantera it is, the whole suspension is shot and needs redone, badly! And by 4 speed, I DO mean an extra pedal!

I did do the tune up today (as in the lady did most of it, she loves doing this kind of thing). Does the old cap look a little off? Haha. The ignition rotor also had old spider eggs on it! I'm now running an MSD cap and rotor, along with a new wireset and some new plugs.

1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
        1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
        1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Oh cock! That's not gone well at all.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yesterday was another quite successful day on the car, despite rain rolling in when I just started working on the second side of the car, lol. The day consisted of new sway bar links, new rotors, pads and wheel bearings!

I used Duralast for the sway bar links (opted for the heavy duty for $1 more apiece), rotors and wheel bearings, while I used Timken wheel seals and Duralast Gold Cmax pads as they're the top of the line ceramic pads that my work offers. I picked up new dust caps as well, of course. I bought all of these at a good time too, had a 30% off weekend at my store!

I went to take the links off, and the bottoms of both snapped clean off. I was able to get them to both come apart piece by piece after that, thanks to days of soaking in PB Blaster, and two pairs of vice grips.

From the front view of the rotors, you can see on both sides where the vehicle sat for quite some time! Both axle nuts were also so loose that I removed them by hand...

And this is why I wanted them all replaced! Nasty!

Oh we fancy now! The calipers will be painted, just a matter of finding that right shade of blue...

Comment

Nice! Don't the old b bodies have the wheel bearings where you kinda lightly tighten the nut then back it off a teenie bit?

Pete
              For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
              1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
              1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

That I'm not sure about. It doesn't make much sense, but then again it was also my first time doing this style of brakes. It seems to be doing fine, and I no longer feel or hear that horrible whirring sound from the front end!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I thought they had the same style brakes as panthers.

'93 T-bird
                  '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                  '88 Mark VII
                  '86 CV

Comment

I actually never had to do the rotors on either of my Crown Vics believe it or not. The '84 only ever needed pads, and the '85 just needed a new caliper and a set of pads at one point.

Comment

I finally got around to doing some more work on this old thing!

Has anyone ever had shocks do this when you remove them? And the oil in these things smells awful when it splashes up into your nose! Haha!

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig4jbcU9db0
                        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                          454 or nothing
                          Yes, I forward this motion. Run that 305 until you save up the $$$ for the 454. Then don't look back until you get it running.

I think I have settled on a 454 for Putter Project. For now I will rebuild the 292 short block and run that for a few years.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by murphmobile2 View Post
                            I finally got around to doing some more work on this old thing!

Has anyone ever had shocks do this when you remove them? And the oil in these things smells awful when it splashes up into your nose! Haha!

No. But I had the top of the stem break off right at the nut on my S-10. I was giving some serious thought to firing up the torch in the driveway to get those shocks off.

Packman

Comment

6 liter Vortec swap!
                              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

be different... drop a 408w in it

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                                Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X