Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1978 Caprice, the new on-going project! (Yes, I'm still alive!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got an old lady that is a fairly regular customer. She was driving one of those Electras up until pretty recently, the brake lines rotted thru and when a shop went to lift it there just wasn't anything left underneath of it. Pretty sad, because the car looked great up top and I don't think she had a lot of miles on it. She's driving a newer Focus now.

My one neighbor has a '91 Pontiac Bonneville SSE that she has had since new. She does not drive it more than a few times a year since she inherited her mother's '97 LeSabre. I kinda want that Bonneville. I have a soft spot for that era of GM "garbage" because they were kinda funky and they are what were all over the roads when I was a kid. Being a few miles from the tech center, this is/was GM country here.
    -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
    1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

I like those early to mid 90's GM's too. Especially a Park Avenue, so many gadgets inside and the interior looks like a cockpit to a space ship or something. Shame they're FWD.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

We've got a few people on the Beretta forum that use Hagerty, and I've considered it too. It's tough for me to move away from Allstate though.

These late 80's big body FWD GM cars have started popping up all over my area in the past few years. I got lucky and snagged tail lights from a '90 Ultra at LKQ, really rare and factory tinted. Need to clean them up and install them still. I love those early SSE's too. The only car of that body style to boast the massive 22mm solid rear sway bar! Mine is like 13mm... Haha.

Here's a few pics of the old Buick too, lol.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
        1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
        1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
        1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP
          2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

- Richard

Comment

Yep, add a few model years to that Park Avenue and the interiors got really awesome. Then like most cars, by '97 or so the interiors began to become flaccid.

Comment

My load leveling suspension actually still works too! Haha. I do love my seats too, comfiest dang seats I've ever had in a car...

Sooo... This happened tonight, haha.

Comment

Popped the top. Looks much better already.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                  Popped the top. Looks much better already.
                  It's not hateful. Pretty rusty on the passenger side, but not bad for having 200k on it. The top of the roof under the vinyl is more like dirt than glue now, haha.

Comment

I'm still here! Just trying to get Tapatalk to log me in properly is fun.

I have plenty of pictures, just Tapatalk and Photobucket are really limiting my options!

Comment

Last summer I finally finished my slick top conversion, it's good enough quality for now, could use some work, but I'm much happier with it. Bondo was required!

Mid summer this year I finally refinished the underside of my hood. I'd been meaning to do this for years. Gotta love Rustoleum...

Late this summer, changed all my cluster bulbs to LED's, had to use blue to match the interior of course.

Just over the weekend I also installed a 15" wood Grant wheel to replace the 13" vinyl wheel I installed a few years back!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by murphmobile2; 02-08-2021, 11:28 PM.

Comment

The woodgrain wheel looks awesome.

On the instrument cluster, right side. What gauge was optional there. Man it’d be cool to get a tach to fit there.
                        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

He lives and so does the car! Still looking good. Although blue is the hardest on your eyes at night, certainly not a color I'd self apply.

Comment

Nice!!! Was your vinyl top held in place by the sides; by the top of the window frames; and bound together by staples in the center of the roofline? I see you took off the plastic hold downs at the bottom of the rear pillars. Wish I had done that with my Malibu

On my 1978 Malibu; the vinyl peeled back from the rear pillars. I had enough of it and ripped it off. No glue or anything else like on the box Panthers. Underneath where the staples were; was a lot of rust as the staples wore down the roof metal. Hopefully Chevy did it differently with the B-bodies.

Comment

Looking good.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks everybody! I'm glad the old forum is still alive too!

I've always loved the wood wheels, I loved it when I had one in my '85 Vic. I wasn't a fan of it in 13" and the 15" just feels right. Giggity. I'm also not sure a gauge came there on these, each one of those little squares is a dummy light, lol. Maybe it was just for symmetry... I'll have to ask on the Caprice page.

I'll tell you what's crazy about the blue gauges, they don't bother me one bit, but in my other car I have red gauges and I swear they make it harder to focus at night.

There seemed to be a little bit of glue under the top too, but not much. Maybe it just seemed like glue, but it ripped clean off lol. No staples either! All that really held it down was all the trim, for the most part at least. Mine had more rust on the sides of the top, the actual roof was fine. I also ground all of the studs off and bondo'd it all smooth.

My new wheels just came in today too! They're rather bland but I'm excited. Had them shipped to the parents since they're both retired, and the lady and I work full time, so picking them up later this week!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X