Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1978 Caprice, the new on-going project! (Yes, I'm still alive!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice!!! That sounds like it will be a lot of fun.

That was the single best mod on my old 305 Malibu. Too bad Doug Thorley doesn't have headers for B body Chevys. My 305 liked the Tri-Ys. On occasion, I miss the good ol' dayz when I would run open headers to work on Fridays. Only regret was not garaging that car and saving the clams for a big block.

Packman

Comment

sounds nice for that 5.slo

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks guys!

I may finally be caving and deciding on a big block in it's future, lol.
        1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
        1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
        1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Did you use tennis racket tape for the steering wheel? I need to do mine.

Comment

big block or LS swap?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The LS is the new small block: tons available, cheap parts, easy to work on, and you can make a lot of power for not much money. I'd go that route.

GM still sells big block crate engines, but Ford is phasing them out, on their website they only sell 351 strokers, no more 460's or other big blocks. They think if people want a high power V8, they'll get a Coyote and add a turbo or supercharger. That's fine, but if I had a big heavy old car, like say a late 60's Country Squire, I'd like a nice low rpm torque monster like an EFI 460.
              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

It's actually a lace on steering wheel cover, you can still get the colored ones on eBay. A friend recenty did a carbed 5.3 swap for a derby car too, its a possibility, but I wouldn't be able to go as old school as I'd prefer.

Comment

It all depends on the what you plan to use that Caprice for. If it's a daily driver, then yeah, get a 5.3L or 6.0L from a truck and a 6 speed from a Camaro (or the like) and have at it. You'll be spending almost the same amount in the end to get that engine running even if you go carb'd. If this is a weekend cruiser, I'd go the big block route. Can easily get 600+hp naturally aspirated with simple mods; that's if you keep it a 454/468. Don't know what's available as far as mounting for Caprices is concerned.

My friends had G-bodies and F-bodies back in the day (including myself), so making big blocks fit (before the internet for us) wasn't all that difficult. I was contemplating an LSx swap into Putter Project; then I realized that I will not be driving that truck everyday; just on the weekends and in bad weather. So I decided that a big block would be my choice.

Whatever you do, upgrade the suspension and brakes. Then go for the engine swap. I wish I had done that with the Malibu had I took the time to learn how to do those mods.

Packman

Comment

With the full exhaust, it sounds similar to a 302 until you hit the high RPMs. Guess the similarities between B-bodies and panthers run deeper still, haha. But with just headers, it sounds VERY different!
                    Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 06-23-2015, 04:49 PM. Reason: Added some context.
                    '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                    '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                    '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Right now it's just a summer daily, but once I get the suspension, brakes, and drivetrain all set up it'll be primarily a street / strip car. That's what makes it so difficult to decide! Next up would be the control arms front and back, along with fixing the rear frame rails. When I do that, I'll have to do the fuel tank and straps too. Too bad my other project car needs a new engine, so progress will be pretty slow on this thing for a while.

Soon enough I'll make a good video of the exhaust from outside the car too... Finally posting my in car video correctly! I can't ever seem to remember how to do this the first time!

Last edited by murphmobile2; 06-26-2015, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Sounds great! Also like the paint color on the calipers.

'93 T-bird
                        '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                        '88 Mark VII
                        '86 CV

Comment

Thank you sir! I've decided that'll be the color of my sway bars too, I REALLY love the color with the gray!

Comment

I went to an auto show back in february and there was an olds cutlass there with the frame and other bits painted the color of your calipers and the body was black. The frame really popped on that car. Not a color you see used often.

'93 T-bird
                            '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                            '88 Mark VII
                            '86 CV

Comment

I got bored, painted the factory air cleaner hammered brown. It's staying that way until I put my 4 barrel on. I've decided to sell my single plane and go dual plane, so it may be a bit, as I'd rather sell what I have first.

You can also see what stainless headers look like after a few weeks of use, and I love it! Glad I went with them...

Comment

What is the reason for the upside down air cleaner top?

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X