Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1978 Caprice, the new on-going project! (Yes, I'm still alive!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With gears that high I'd be manually shifting it. Guess it isn't so bad when you don't have OD, but since I don't take mine on road trips, I couldn't deal with that, my 3.08's are bad enough.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

I need to just get the rear end out of a 9C1 or Impala SS with disc brakes... 8.5 rear with 3.42's, lol.

I also just had a fuel line leak and after I fixed it, the Delphi fuel pump I had just put on somehow fell apart internally. Right after that, my ignition control module went out! So it's finally time to do my intake swap and throw my four barrel Holley on, as my Rochester 2 bbl is going out! Added a couple chrome pieces so far... So that's a little fancy at least, lol.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
      1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
      1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
      1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Single plane intake, big mistake.

Gonna seriously lose some drivability torque. Not for a stock motor. Or really even a street motor.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
        The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
        It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

I have more in this intake than it's worth between buying it and having it redone, and I've just been sitting on it for months. Ironically, no body mentioned I shouldn't use it months before I had it refinished. As soon as it I had it redone... Then everybody chimed in. So I have absolutely no use for it, other than to just throw it on so the car is at least drivable again.

I just can't justify spending money on another intake now, I'm in the process of putting an engine in another car too, so that one alone is killing my bank account.

Comment

I thought in your earlier posts you said you ditched the single plane for a dual plane? Dual plane would certainly be better for peanut cam stock motor. Thing just won't suck enough air for that, single planes are better suited for high RPM. I can't say it any better than Bobcat.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Yea... The Street Dominator I have is an old 70's design. Has no value, nobody wants to pay enough for me to break even on it.

Comment

Slap that on and sell the single plane. I think you'd have a hard time even getting that thing to idle, let alone get off the line with 2.43 cogs out back. Probably wish you had your old 2bbl at that point. My cammed 318 in my Plymouth sucks off the hole. 1971 MoPar 4bbl DP manifold from 340, 600 cfm Holley. Turd. So bad VicCrownVic beats me off the line and I don't begin to catch up until I'm halfway through 1st gear. Car needs better gears, higher stall and better manifold.

Comment

This is the dual plane I was considering... it's affordable at least.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...rentProductId=

Comment

That should do.

Comment

The cheapest dual plane will do. I like Air Gap manifolds since they resist heat soak better, but they're pricey. Any Edelbrock or Holley/Weiand low rise dp will be great for that engine.

I had a Holley Street Dominator (same as their current Strip Dominator) low rise on my 86 C10. Would've liked to have have a properly tuned Holley carb on it, but the previous owner threw an Edelbrock 1406 on it since he didn't want to tune it. It ran fine but I could tell a better carb would've helped, that and getting rid of the 2.73 gears.

If you ever replace the engine in this, consider the GM 290hp crate 350. That's what I had in the C10, and it was a strong engine, even with the crappy gears it was never short on power.

I'm very interested to hear how well that 305 does with a 4bbl. Like the others said, try to sell that single plane if you can, a dp and 3.42 gears like you said will really wake it up, nothing wrong with a 305 at all.
                      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Meh, I caved. Jegs dual plane intake is on the way...

Comment

It's a tree-oh-five?? I'm sorry lol! I have one in my Fireturd. No, it's not a bad motor as it does what it was intended to do but why waste money on one when pretty much everything that bolts to one of those bolts to a tree-fiddy but produces better gains? Probably in the same boat as me: A 350 would be in the engine bay of my Firebird if the budget allowed. When it does though the heads, intake and all that jazz will go straight over.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                            Slap that on and sell the single plane. I think you'd have a hard time even getting that thing to idle, let alone get off the line with 2.43 cogs out back. Probably wish you had your old 2bbl at that point. My cammed 318 in my Plymouth sucks off the hole. 1971 MoPar 4bbl DP manifold from 340, 600 cfm Holley. Turd. So bad VicCrownVic beats me off the line and I don't begin to catch up until I'm halfway through 1st gear. Car needs better gears, higher stall and better manifold.
                            LOL, and that's with my stock lopo and 2.73 one wheel peel. The trans that my dad had a shop rebuild like 5 years ago might be slightly better than stock but not by much, and probably only better in durability not performance.
                            Your Plymouth does catch up once it gets moving.
                            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                              LOL, and that's with my stock lopo and 2.73 one wheel peel. The trans that my dad had a shop rebuild like 5 years ago might be slightly better than stock but not by much, and probably only better in durability not performance.
                              Your Plymouth does catch up once it gets moving.
                              Sounds like quite the pathetic "race" you guys are taking part in. Just two old clunkers roaring down the road and really not going anywhere.

Dual plane, good work. You need gear, REAL BAD. I shudder when I hear 2.73, but 2.43? That's god aweful.
                              Throw in some 3.73s and do burnouts.

That's my plan.
                              __________________________________________________

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                              The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                              It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Hahaha yeah you summed it up! Fury roars though! Sounds just like the bluesmobile lol and I'm not kidding. I think part of the problem is jetting too, I could throw more fuel at it but it gets 10-12 as it is so the jets are just big enough so no hesitation junk is present. Car seems to take off better at part throttle then it does at full throttle. It has put many a modern car to shame on the freeway though. At those speeds it certainly feels like the fastest car in my stable. However, that 454 C3500 pulls damn good at those speeds too.

Comment

Working...
                                X