Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1978 Caprice, the new on-going project! (Yes, I'm still alive!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
    Sounds like quite the pathetic "race" you guys are taking part in. Just two old clunkers roaring down the road and really not going anywhere. ...
    Yep, it's probably one of the most hilarious sights you could ever see.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Like the time I raced my friend with his 88 Country Squire 3.08 with my Vulcan Taurus wagon at the time. A cup of coffee could have brewed faster than it took for us to go from 50-80...
      -Nick M.
      Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
      03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

LoL. They sure make a lot of racket getting there don't they? When you're behind the wheel it's fun but if you were to watch a video you'd have to fight off sleep.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I raced a diesel Suburban with my '84 Crown Vic with a stretched throttle cable, downhill... That was slow... But still scary as crap, haha.

Intake already showed up today too! I'll post a pic as soon as I get a chance, lol.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
          1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
          1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
          1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

What year 'Burban? Those early diesels sucked. The 454 made more torque and was better for towing. There's a lot of forums out there about the 80's EFI 454's and most people shit all over them but I like ours. It's got plenty of torque and hauls ass IMO for what it is. 385ft/lbs @ 1,600 is pretty solid. Diesel made about 260 @ 2,000. (1988 #'s)

Click image for larger version

Name:	1988 GMC Engine Tech Data.png
Views:	1
Size:	546.7 KB
ID:	1278288

Comment

Me and my buddy were doing 120mph in my Vic on the highway and it felt like a casual 65, as long as it was in a straight line.. When those curves started coming, I'd have to downshift and brace myself. Even with the 285 meats, the suspension just isn't meant to be racecar. But sure is comfortable.

Alright let's see an update and some burnouts, that thing better be posi. One wheel peels suck, as anyone who went to SF how I know.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
              The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
              It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

My car is not capable of said burnouts... Except in rain, lol.

Finally got some pics of the Jegs 513000 intake too! Lined up my Holley single plane beside it for a small comparison.

All dressed up, she's so pretty!

Comment

Thats a teeny air cleaner. I tend to like air filters so big you can't see the engine under it though.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I second Thains remark on big filters.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Looks good to me. Can't wait to hear it and see what it can do with that on. Then once you get a decent axle ratio in it, should be lots of fun to drive.
                      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

The deal may have just gotten a little sweeter, lol.

My 305 is very, VERY worn out. A friend from high school has seen all my issues I've been having with the car as of late and is selling me a strong lower mileage 305 for $175, and another friend is putting it in for a trade on my old 305 and that single plane Holley intake for a race engine that he's been building for himself!

Last edited by murphmobile2; 10-03-2015, 08:26 PM.

Comment

See if you can talk him out of a 350 instead
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Should have the heads mildly ported and put a mild cam in it.
                            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

What Thain said.. Save that $175 for a 350 and pull the engine only once. I don't care what anyone else says, I wouldn't pay money for a 305. New set up looks good. I like the smaller air cleaner but think you should invest in a plastic spacer for the install. Eliminates fuel boiling and increases HP.

Comment

Well the engine is hemorrhaging oil now... And come January I plan to stop spending on the cars and start saving for a house, instead of living in an apartment.

I've found quite a few 350's and 400's, but everybody seems to think they're worth gold, or they all need rebuilt. This engine is good to go with no issues for $175. I'll easily flip it with it being that cheap after I build an engine sometime down the road, lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X