Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1978 Caprice, the new on-going project! (Yes, I'm still alive!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh damn, any idea how that happened?
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by murphmobile2 View Post
      ...One of these is not like the other! Picked up a hardened set for $35, might as replace them all...

You must be a Just Rolled In The Shop reader! Haven't looked at that site in awhile..
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I actually got it from one of my instructors when I was in college, haha. I think what happened was a combination of weak pushrods, a wicked exhaust backfire when it was out of time, and improperly adjusted rockers. At least I hope...

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
        1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
        1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
        1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

She lives!! Again! Got her all shined up too...

I clear coated the flywheel cover, had to trim it so it would fit around the starter, but she fits!

Comment

shiny!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I only count two V-belts on dis, clean engine bay. Any plans to refurb the A/C? Looks good, need to see if it does burnouts.

Comment

Pretty clean, look how simple it looks underhood. Kinda jealous except for it's got the wrong label on it.

Comment

That's a bad car-racist!

Comment

Couple litte hiccups, but you're in the clear now. Probably learned a couple things along the way that'll help you with maintaining the winter beater(s) too! Have fun mang; it ain't a crime to be good to yourself.
                    '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                    '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                    '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

No plans to go back to A/C, too much has been gutted for it to be worth the effort lol.

I've been driving it the past few weeks, no crazy major issues, other than a random knock that comes and goes, and it will do it when in gear after it's warmed up, but not every time and not in sequence with the engine firing to locate it down to one cylinder. I also never have an extra person around when it actually does do it, so I can investigate it!

I have the initial timing set at 8 degrees, and just got around to adjusting the jets on the carb yesterday. It's not 100%, but it's getting there!

Comment

What's your oil pressure hot @ idle? Could be crank/thrust bearing slop.

As the for A/C it doesn't look like they cut the lines at the evaporator so looks like you only need the bolt-ons, hoses and misc stuff...

Comment

I really need to get better at checking this for new posts. Haha.

Found the issue, the cam was out 180*, and the distibutor was too... No idea how it was running. It wouldn't right at 8*, and would only run right super advanced even at exact TDC. It's pretty much resolved now, other than fine tuning the carb. Using a vacuum gauge I did get it pretty close though! Aaaand the timing cover is now leaking. Easy fix, just need to decide when I'll fix it.

On another note, took her to her first Cruise-In with the new engine! One of my college instructors showed up with his Belvedere and parked up near my sweet piece too, lol. It was my home town's 150th Anniversary celebration, got some home made Oreo ice cream too...

Comment

Picked up a Grant 502 steering wheel! Sooo much better...

Comment

Ooo interior pics! Looks pretty clean in there.

Comment

Cool!

Is the Belvedere a 4dr? It's hard to tell..
                                1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                                Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
                                X