Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1978 Caprice, the new on-going project! (Yes, I'm still alive!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glasspacks, at least perforated cores, flow about as well as any muffler you can buy. Sure after a few weeks it gets so loud it's like it's not there, but I'd rather have one than a Flowmaster. I put off-brand Flows on my C10 replacing Red Hots, and it made so much drone it was unreal, it was like a 12" sub constantly hitting, it was pretty much undriveable. The glasspacks were overall louder outside but they were a ton quieter inside the truck.

I'm considering replacing the 18" Magnaflow on my truck, since it has no cat it's pretty loud. I may try a Dynomax Super Turbo, those are supposed to be quiet but flow very well, the next best thing to straight through, and they're cheap for what you get.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

1978 Caprice, the new on-going project! (Yes, I'm still alive!)

I remember when I had Dynomax Ultra Flows on my 302... Worst. Drone. Ever. But it sounded beautiful!

Another awesome muffler is the Hooker Aero Chamber. They have the chambered throatiness at idle, but that aggressiveness of a glasspack under heavier throttle. Definitely quieter than a Magnaflow too, lol. Dynomax Super Turbo? Very quiet for a performance muffler, but awesome flow!
      1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
      1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
      1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Oh yea... Only cost me $55 for all!

Comment

Spring can't come soon enough guys...

Comment

Amen!
            1986 Mercury Grand Marquis "5.0" (160,000)

2011 Ford Crown Victoria "4.6" (54,000)

2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Willys "3.6" (48,000)

Comment

Originally posted by murphmobile2 View Post
              Spring can't come soon enough guys...

That's going to look good. Those valve covers are begging for some kind of logo or writing on them.
              Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
              AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
              Open/Lock/Ratio #
              -----------------------
              G / H / 2.26
              B / C / 2.47
              8 / M / 2.73
              7 / - / 3.07
              Y / Z / 3.08
              4 / D / 3.42
              F / R / 3.45
              5 / E / 3.27
              6 / W / 3.73
              2 / K / 3.55
              A / - / 3.63
              J / - / 3.85

Comment

The valve covers are being blasted and cleared to match the Holley intake, I can't wait to see how they'll look! The headers are stainless steel, and came with metals gaskets and flanges for $120 shipped! Why must it be so cold out?!

Comment

You should paint "Slow 5.0" on the valve covers, like Mustang guys do.

Also I remember the vid you had on the 85 with Ultraflo's, it sounded good. I think because you dumped it under the car is why it droned, out the back with the 3" tips it probably would've been quiet inside. My car with duals and no mufflers isn't loud in the car at all, but mine is also stock exhaust just minus mufflers.

I have a pair of Aerochambers, 2.5" offset I got for my old 87 LX but sold it before I put them on and the guy didn't want them. Now I need to sell them or figure out a use for them.

Anyways with those headers are you making all new exhaust to go with them? If so I've got a set of Aerochambers I'll sell you

Comment

Those Ultraflows sounded great, but honestly they need to be on a higher HP engine to get the true sound out of them. 302's are just not loud, lol. They'd probably sound good on that 305 though. For now I'm going to run the glasspacks and dumps that are on it, but I'll have them throw on an h-pipe too.

I eventually want Aerochambers, I have one on my 3400 swap Beretta and it just sounds amazing. They sound badass on beefed up V8's too. But I also want to hear those glasspacks with a nice cam behind them...

Comment

If that 305 is high mileage, I'd hold off on doing anything beyond those headers and the carb/intake you have, save the expensive engine parts for a fresh 350, then it'll really scoot.

Comment

My thoughts exactly. I just want it at a point where I can take it to cruise in's this summer without being embarrassed to open the hood, lol.

Comment

I had the GMPP 290hp crate 350 in my C10 and it was a pretty strong engine even paired with the crappy 2.73 gears, but I don't like dealing with carbs so I'd probably swap on a TBI unit from a truck or 90's Caprice, or the whole engine, I know the 90's Caprice TBI 350 is a roller cam so it'd be a super reliable engine, not a hot rod but still a step up from a 305. That's the route I want to go when the 305 in my truck goes (or trans, whichever comes first), fresh TBI 350 hopefully roller cam.

Still, a tuned up 305 with low gears can pull like a tractor, so no need to pull the engine until something goes boom.

Comment

I thought about doing a Vortec head swap since its the equivalent to the GT40P head swap, but I'd have to get a special intake manifold and I really want to use my Holley intake. And don't worry, I'm gonna run it until it blows then start a build!

Comment

Yeah I don't like how you need a Vortec specific intake. I'd like to go TBI on my Suburban for reliability, get rid of the plastic intake that's prone to gasket leaks. Not sure it's worth it, since I'd need to buy the TBI unit then get 454 injectors to feed it well enough, plus a Vortec 4bbl intake and a TBI adapter. I'm thinking if I seal the intake gasket with RTV on both sides (like what guys have done with headers) then it might last longer than the stock gaskets did, but since I don't have DexCool anymore it may not be an issue. Not like it's a tough job, a SBC is just about the easiest engine to wrench on.

Don't remember if you said or not, but what gears does that car have? The 305 wouldn't feel too bad with 3.73's or 4.10's behind it.

Comment

Right now it's only got a 7.5 with 2.41's, but I plan to pick up a 9C1 rear end. That'll give me an 8.5 with 3.42's, posi, and disc brakes. It'll bolt right up too, all I will need is the 9C1 drive shaft and the proportioning valve! That and two wheels with a 5.5 bolt pattern...

Comment

Working...
                                X