Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1978 Caprice, the new on-going project! (Yes, I'm still alive!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by murphmobile2 View Post
    I plan to pick up a 9C1 rear end. That'll give me an 8.5 with 3.42's, posi, and disc brakes. It'll bolt right up too, all I will need is the 9C1 drive shaft and the proportioning valve! That and two wheels with a 5.5 bolt pattern...
    Dude, that sounds epic. Wider track + lighter brakes + better stopping brakes + higher rear gears = sex. You'll go faster, stop faster, and corner better. Have that cake and eat it!
    Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 02-22-2015, 11:11 PM. Reason: Added some context.
    '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
    '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
    '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Sounds fun. Didn't realize the differences between police and civi were that big on caprices.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Yep, if I want to upgrade to a newer suspension part it's easy as cake! The box and bubble Caprice's, even the two doors and wagons all have the same frame. This makes it pretty easy to upgrade if need be!
        1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
        1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
        1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Originally posted by murphmobile2 View Post
          Right now it's only got a 7.5 with 2.41's, but I plan to pick up a 9C1 rear end. That'll give me an 8.5 with 3.42's, posi, and disc brakes.
          Are you sure any 9C1 rear end will have disc brakes? I picked up a '90 9C1 a few years ago (ended up flipping it before I put it on the road) and I'm pretty sure it had drums out back. Are you talking about a bubble 9C1 rear end specifically?
          RyPow
          1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
          1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
          1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
          2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
          1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
          2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
          2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

My bad lol, I did mean the bubble Caprices. Some of the civilian bubbles had that rear end too, like some of the wagons. I can also nab one out of a mid 90's Impala SS depending on what's available to me when I start the hunt.

Comment

Grab the engine out of a 94-96 too, LT1 swap
              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

So... I was going to run my 2.25" exhaust with the 24" Cherry Bomb glasspacks that are on it when I installed my headers, but...

We just got these in at work today, and they're 2.5" core, so... Yea... lol.

Comment

Hell yeah. Gives you a bit of headroom if the engine work gets more serious.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

That's a tiny little glasspack, looks like the 8" case. Is it the standard perforated core or their classic style louvered core? I think as long as the louver openings face away from the engine, they flow just fine.

Comment

They are perforated core, so I'm going to do this along with 2.5" pipes, x-pipe, and dumps just before the rear axle. I'll never replace the exhaust again, lol.

Comment

As long as it doesn't rust out, damn salt. You should powdercoat all of it, so that, keeping it clean and the lack of condensation made from cats and it probably will never need replacing. The exhaust on my truck is cheap muffler shop pipe, I didn't powdercoat it but I used to wash it all the time and it's still just surface rust after 5 years.

Comment

Not a bad idea, I'll hit them with some high temp clear coat! And I finally caved today too...

Comment

Being that short it'll probably be pretty loud, even on a low output 305. You might need to have tailpipes made so it doesn't give you a headache. I like the look of old square body car with dual pipes straight out the back, I think straight cut pipe painted black would look awesome, no tips.

On my old 86 C10 that had the 290hp 350, I had Flowtech longtubes, 2.5" pipe with an H-pipe, Flowtech Redhots and turndowns. That was a pretty loud setup, overall louder than the Summit single chamber mufflers I put on but droned less. I think if I had run tailpipes it would've been nicer to drive, not so loud. Being an old truck with no sound insulation didn't help though.
                            Last edited by 88Vic; 03-03-2015, 01:36 PM.

Comment

The X-pipe should quiet it down some as compared to an H-pipe, and loud and obnoxious is what I'm going for, haha. But no straightpipes, I hate how anything sounds muffler-less. This will be about as close as I'll ever get to that!

Comment

A lopo Panther with stock duals isn't loud with no mufflers, the tiny pipe, H-pipe and 4 cats keeps it from being loud. In fact mine wasn't really loud enough for me sometimes, but on the days I wanted a quiet cruise, I loved it, nearly silent when you're cruising.

Anyways, hope all those goodies can be put on soon since the weather is finally warming up. I can't wait to see a video of a beastly little 305.

Comment

Working...
                                X