No announcement yet.

My 1989 Grand Marquis GS sedan "Ebyt"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been tempted to drag this thread back up to the top, glad to see the project is still going on. I like how you ripped all the trim off except those V8 badges.

sigpic
    - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Got her back from the recent round of work earlier. Nice 59.6 mile all around drive, without missing a beat. Nothing strokes the ego and elicits happiness like a well sorted land yacht with a thundering V8 and godlike handling. The biggest holdups on getting her back were not being able to find some small important parts like a parking brake return spring. Even RockAuto didn't have it! Had to just get one made for the application because they don't come with any hardware kit anywhere. Misfire, surging idle, loss of power steering, belt squeak on startup, and a bunch of other small issues are gone. Ebyt feels quicker to acclerate, and with the Bilstein HD shocks and Moog heavy duty coils out back she handles even better than before. Definitely gained 3-5 miles per hour in turns, as well as quicker reflexes in all situations. Expect loud music and lateral Gs this weekend.

@MrMarquis: Impeccable timing! Depending on when I get some of the body work done (it's 50/50 for next year), I'd happily send them to you for use on your next box panther. Feel free to PM me your shipping address for later reference.
      '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
      '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
      '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

I must say these cars are incredibly easy to keep in proper working order once they're caught up maintenance-wise. Didn't get to everything planned for 2020, but we're close. Battle plan 2021!

-PCV service. (must be done annually on these cars)
        -Check power steering pump. (cut corner from 2019. it has intermittent loss of pressure at both low and high speeds; can't have that in a car I put 6,000+ hard miles on every spring)
        -Reshim driver side rear body mount & realign/remount rear bumper (cut corner from 2019)
        -Fix intermittent misfire/stalling/surging idle (have this narrowed down to bad oxygen sensors or idle adjustment screw)
        -Power window maintenance/checks
        -Tires & alignment. Price of having fun!
        -Fix steering column wiring (cut corner from 2019; my wipers will sometimes turn on by themselves when doing donuts, or even when taking select long sweeping right turns at high speed)
        -Add correct temperature sensor so my digidash's temperature gauge reads correctly

Just your typical litany of checks and quirk fixes from 2019. Can't have any question marks on a car that will see lots of hard miles. I'll get basic paint/body work done once Kira's back in service. Thinking that will be late in the season, circa August. Least I can do for this lovely spring and summer street beast. Vroom vroom!
        '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
        '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
        '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Working...
        X