No announcement yet.

My 1989 Grand Marquis GS sedan "Ebyt"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have some single hole injectors I'll let go cheap if you can't find anything else before you get building. I had delusions of grandeur of making my 88 into somewhat of an HO using the lopo cam since I like that off-idle haul ass from a stand still, but there doesn't seem to be any tuners for running anything but mass air systems on these things. If anyone can point me to something that can tune a lopo to use 19# injectors, I may well slap these in and haul ass.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

@HiFiMerc: You could say that. Exploder & HO use some similar stuff, like the computer & injectors. We'll call it a coincidence. Haha.

@sly: You could try Moates Quarterhourse. pantera metioned them to be in the CVN build thread. Link: http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...2825745&page=1

Updates!

Bought the necessary stuff for the code-pulling from Home Depot. One of the electronics people there worked with EEC-IV back in the day, and she hooked me up. Will try to pull codes and do the cylinder balance test today or late tomorrow. Also bought a CD player with the adapter! I'm slowly creeping towards the ultimate goal.....

Oh, and made her a flickr album. More pics here (will add more this week): https://www.flickr.com/photos/123836...7644258329265/
      '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
      '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
      '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

quarterhorse doesn't work with speed density according to their site.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
          I have some single hole injectors I'll let go cheap if you can't find anything else before you get building. I had delusions of grandeur of making my 88 into somewhat of an HO using the lopo cam since I like that off-idle haul ass from a stand still, but there doesn't seem to be any tuners for running anything but mass air systems on these things. If anyone can point me to something that can tune a lopo to use 19# injectors, I may well slap these in and haul ass.
          Just stick a Explorer cam in there, run the 19# injectors and a SD HO computer. With stock e6's and a HO upper you'd have a torque monster.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
            Just stick a Explorer cam in there, run the 19# injectors and a SD HO computer. With stock e6's and a HO upper you'd have a torque monster.
            I had thought about just throwing an HO upper intake and cam, injectors, and ECM in my lopo and see what it does.
            1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Originally posted by HiFiMerc View Post
              I had thought about just throwing an HO upper intake and cam, injectors, and ECM in my lopo and see what it does.
              You'd have a 1986 Mustang with a slightly better intake.

But if your putting a cam in anyways, no reason to not swap the heads while your in there.
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Yeah,

No. might as well do it right then.
                1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

reading this months late, but bring the car here if you want mods and maintenance

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Oh wow, major lapse between updates. Got the tranny rebuilt, and got the AOD-HP shift kit from TransGo put on. Shifts quicker and harder than before, and is generally 800 times better than before. Still doesn't like to get up and go when I first start her, and (after letting her warm up for a few minutes) then put her into a forward gear. I'll step on the gas, and she'll just rev, haha. (It's normal for AODs to do that when you first start driving them IIRC). Good times.

Been working quite a bit in the meantime, and making plans. She's going in for body work on the 21st. There's a laundy list of things that will be fixed:
                    -ALL the surface rust.
                    -All miscellaneous dents and
                    -The annoying out-of-alignement passenger side front door
                    -BONUS! Police steelie center caps will also be installed, free of charge.

I've been taking her on curvy roads in the meantime, and enjoying the odd combination of body roll and grip. It's so weird when you first start driving in a spirited nature.... you think the car's never going to make that tight turn. You think you're going to flip, plow, die, or some combination of those three things. But when the car grips through the turn, all is well. I've learned to trust Ebyt, in all her rolly-polly glory. Haha.

Anyhow, I'll need to save up more money before I can get a full exhaust job (headers+true duals), but she'll definitely have the work done in time for Scottsfest. (I can start the slicktop conversion in the meantime too!) She might even have a K-code rear installed by then. We'll see....
                    Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 07-11-2014, 05:51 PM. Reason: Added some context

Comment

Originally posted by Hearsesrock427 View Post
                      O (It's normal for AODs to do that when you first start driving them IIRC).

That's not normal. Only time I've ever had a trans do that to me, is when I started up my '92 after winter storage. The torque converter drained into the pan, overfilling it and causing it to leak out. Start it up, torque converter fills, now the trans is low enough to not go into gear. Engine revs, no action.

Comment

It did that before I got the AOD rebuilt too.....

Not sure if this is relevant, but the AOD in Ebyt now isn't the one she left the factory with. The tranny in her now came from a '93 Cougar (2nd owner probably went el cheapo and threw in a junkyard tranny after the first tranny died). That's what the guy who rebuilt the tranny for me told me. Explains my AOD's short lifespan before the rebuild, and why the gear indicator was/is off.
                        Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 07-11-2014, 07:00 PM. Reason: Cleaned up the format.

Comment

My transmission started revving up like that when the tv cable broke. What are your shift points like? Adjusting the cable on mine raised them and got rid of the slipping. Before it would shift too early. (from 1st to 2nd at 12mph)

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
                          2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
                          2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

They're a lot later than before, I can tell you that for sure. The guy who rebuilt the tranny said he upped the line pressure a lot (although one could theoretically do this without tightening the TV cable IIRC). I'll go out and test that now, actually. Time for some WOT runs!

Comment

At light to mid throttle, she shifts at 15, 25, and 55 respectively.
                              At WOT, she shifts at 25, 40, and 65 respectively.

I may be off a single mph here or there, but the higher shift points coincide with the higher line pressure.

Comment

That seems close to what I have on mine. You are also right about the higher pressure raising the shift points. I got mine to where they were by bumping back the TV cable a couple milimeters.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
                                2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
                                2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Working...
                                X