PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: My 1989 Grand Marquis GS sedan "Ebyt"

The music choice....lol Have fun!
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Digital Dash Enthusiast Hearsesrock427's Avatar

@87gtVIC: Haha! You know it, can't think of a better period correct song for controlled oversteer. Am hoping for some rain one of these nights so I can do a proper drifting/donuts compilation.

Got distracted and did not get to dropping headliner for yanking trim and vinyl top remnants. Whatever, such is the price of automotive ecstacy. Just came back from 244 miles of mostly rip roaring hard driving and hard cornering. Am able to take turns 3+ miles per hour faster with the summer tires versus the all seasons. Ebyt turns in sharper, holds on longer, and breaks away smoother. Tried doing some donuts/long drifts after the tires were warm and she just wouldn't let go. The grip was unbelievable. Borderline bullshit levels of adhesion at times.... she felt like a zero turn lawnmower, right up until the rears finally began to break loose. And even then I had to be practically standing on the gas. Was slow, predictable, very easily corrected. The amount of good feelings this car generates is absurd. Lateral Gs have to be close to, if not more than, 1 lateral G on a skidpad.

And to think there's more on the table even beyond that. With the aforementioned plans for handling upgrades & weight savings next year, I think we'll gain another 2-3 miles per hour in turns.

Have some of the best still images from earlier! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0016.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	51072Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0019.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	51073Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0021.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	51074
    Slicktopped 1989 Grand Marquis "Ebyt". Primary project.
    255/50/R16 BF Goodrich G-force Sport Comp 2 tires, big disc brakes, polyurethane suspension bushings + body mounts, BBK long tube headers, HVAC delete
    Summer 2019 plans: Aluminum driveshaft, additional chassis bracing

Slicktopped 1985 Grand Marquis "Eva". Secondary project.
    Winter 2019 plans: Full chassis swap, maintenance.

More fun was had since last post. Got the headliner dropped and re-glued. Turns out the spray on adhesive I used is either pretty crap or I just didn't hit the area to be re-glued with enough of it? Headliner has a small sag in the back near the rear window, but it's coming out again next spring/summer for the roll cage and chassis bracing so I'm not losing sleep over it. It'll get some quality upholstery glue job done then. Will stock on some wear/replacement items for next year over the winter, namely a steering box and HD straight rate rear coil springs. Will also have all fluids flushed and the steering shaft lubricated come spring. Between that and finally getting the digital dash reinstalled, I think Ebyt's future is going to get a lot brighter. Here, have some favorites from end-of-driving-season photoshoots;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0001.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	51254Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0002.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	183.3 KB 
ID:	51256Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0016.jpg 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	51255Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0017.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	51257Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0018.jpg 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	51258Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0024.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	51259

Last bit of antics before parking her inside for a long winter's nap!
    https://youtu.be/2OfqdUhJvTk
    255/50/R16 BF Goodrich G-force Sport Comp 2 tires, big disc brakes, polyurethane suspension bushings + body mounts, BBK long tube headers, HVAC delete

Stocking up on parts to hit the ground running come spring. Little odds and ends like window lift motors, exterior temperature sensor, etc. Maintenance comes first, followed by performance improvements. Roll cage and chassis bracing will likely happen in late August/early September.

fomoco panthers !

Shops will not do the 2G-3G due to liability in modifying factory wiring. Who is liable if the car catches on fire ? If the owner does the job, owner takes full responsibility.
    They also do not want to troubleshoot any problems. They just want to use a scan tool, r&r parts and charge plenty of money and beat the book to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    Shops will not do the 2G-3G due to liability in modifying factory wiring. Who is liable if the car catches on fire ? If the owner does the job, owner takes full responsibility.
    They also do not want to troubleshoot any problems. They just want to use a scan tool, r&r parts and charge plenty of money and beat the book to do it.
    Already has 3G; got that done in 2016. Explained the extant of upcoming work including digital dash to the place and we're on the same page with plans. It's just a matter of testing wires one at a time and matching them to harness. Not difficult, just tedious. Some stuff will be done under flat rate (replacing rear coil springs and lubricating suspension parts, for example) but a lot of the work is being done hourly due to the more custom nature of it.

First round of work is maintenance/checks focused with a few fun things added for good measure. Ebyt won't go under the knife until May 14th or so. Everything else, from new rear coil springs to some standard maintenance stuff, should be pretty easy. Will report back after the first major round of work is complete. This is going to be an awesome driving season!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011