No announcement yet.

My 1989 Grand Marquis GS sedan "Ebyt"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I has 4.30s and like 5 sets of tires to fry. With great powah comes great responsibillitay!
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

@Mr.Blue: Yep. Nothing like a loud car with granny gears, haha. I forgot about the gears until you mentioned it actually, that's how long it's been. I don't like the bogging feeling of the 2.73s. I'll add a gear swap and gear oil change to the business plan for my first trip to Scott's. While it would be more convenient to do it during the second trip where the Big Brake Swap would get done, recall how the rear gear oil has never ever been changed. Armed with that information, I think sooner is preferable to later.

@sxcpotatoes: I has 2.73s and no extra sets of tires to fry. With low power comes no responsibility. :P
      '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
      '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
      '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
        I has 4.30s and like 5 sets of tires to fry. With great powah comes great responsibillitay!
        The force is strong with this one!
        Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

Originally posted by Hearsesrock427 View Post
          @Mr.Blue: Yep. Nothing like a loud car with granny gears, haha. I forgot about the gears until you mentioned it actually, that's how long it's been. I don't like the bogging feeling of the 2.73s. I'll add a gear swap and gear oil change to the business plan for my first trip to Scott's. While it would be more convenient to do it during the second trip where the Big Brake Swap would get done, recall how the rear gear oil has never ever been changed. Armed with that information, I think sooner is preferable to later.
          Gears will make a rreeaallyy nice butt dyno improvement......especially if the car is modified..........AOD cars? gears/stall/vb or shift kit should be the first mods...unless its a lopo box, then exhaust/HO or better swap is almost necessary to get the full effect.........you're on the right track, its fun watching/reading about people making this stuff quicker than it should be

Comment

Originally posted by Hearsesrock427 View Post

@sxcpotatoes: I has 2.73s and no extra sets of tires to fry. With low power comes no responsibility. :P
            I've got the granny gears too. They make it harder to do burnouts, but they're the one-wheel type for when you've only got one extra tire to fry. I'm looking into an eventual trac-loc swap, probably going to wait until then to change the gears.

1995 Grand Marquis GS
            - 156k miles, three-tone until I find my paint
            1990 Toyota Camry DX - 211k miles, someone else's future barn find
            1994 Saturn SW2 wagon - wife's car

Originally posted by SVT98t
            I'll make it fit.
            I own hammers.

Comment

I wouldn't go too low if you do a lot of highway. Just going from 2.73 to 3.73 would be a massive change and wouldn't be too bad on the highway, especially if you cruise at 60mph.
              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

My DD mustang is 2800@70mph with a DOA/4.30s/265-50-15 and a NON-lock converter.............a taller tire and lock-up stall would lower that rpm a bit..........

Comment

Updates!

-Finally got her out of my friend's barn/warehouse. Cold start video: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7Q0n3S8Sh4) Not bad for sitting for sitting over 6 months. Let her idle for a good 10+ minutes while I affixed the license plates and other stuff. Despite lacking an IAC gasket, idle was very good overall. I'll buy a new one in the meantime, so I'll have it ready for when I get her back.

-No more slipping in 1st when I first shift into a forward drive mode. It was PERFECT! I'm not sure why this is. I plan on having the speed shop check the gaskets and o-rings in the pan and filter just to be safe. Best case scenario, the problem fixed itself (gaskets/o-rings hardened up and/or finished sealing?) and all is well. Worst case scenario, it was an odd, fortunate fluke that means replacing the o-rings and gaskets.

-Dual exhaust parts are finally going on; trusted speed shop that did the headers will handle this. Told them the pipes need to have as much ground clearance as possible. They did a great job on the headers, so I'm expecting greatness for the rest of the exhaust system. They'll also heat-wrap the headers and replace the battery cables. Progress!

Next up? Front & rear alignment, rear brakes adjustment (right rear is super touchy under certain pedal pressures, to the point where it'll lock prematurely, and the car will pull to the right under braking), and inspection. Found a place seems much more hot rod friendly than the place I used to go to for stuff like inspections and maintenance, so I'm expecting they won't care about my weight reduction and exhaust parts. No emissions testing after 25 years anyway, so it's not like they can do much about it.

I'm '86ing the brighter exterior lights stuff. As cool as it'd be to have it done this year, it's a nice-to-have item. I'd rather pocket the $300+ and use it for gas money for the numerous road trips and spirited driving trips I plan on taking. I'll just have Scott do that next year when he beefs up the AOD for towing duties.
                  Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 05-01-2015, 12:11 PM. Reason: Added a link.

Comment

Update time.

Finally got the exhaust on, with turn-downs. Sounds mean as hell when you get on it, but it's very quiet on the inside when you're just driving normally. At idle, you can barely tell the engine is running. It's perfect! Absolutely, unbelievably, amazingly, perfect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyuemgE_Nxc

All the other stuff I had the speed shop do went well too- car stops straight as an arrow, corners a bit better, and turns in a bit quicker too. Win.

That said, I need to switch some priorities around. Body work and other cosmetics are still next on the agenda, but I want to strengthen the transmission this year- it started acting reeeeeal funny after some 90 minutes of hard driving. First thing happened about 45 minutes in. I had to pee. So I pulled over, threw it in Park, set the parking brake, did my thing. Got back in, released the parking brake, and then shifted from Park to OverDrive. Let my foot off the gas, car didn't roll forward. Put my foot on the gas, and the transmission slipped like it always used to. FUCK!!!! Here we go again with this POS.

This was incredibly annoying. It was completely fine earlier, when things were cold. I went from park to reverse to drive like, four times in a parking lot trying to find a good place to record exhaust clips. Transmission never skipped a beat! So we know the slipping in 1st is temperature related now. Another obvious indicator of transmission problems is that as I continued to flog the car, the part throttle shifts got a little softer, and the WOT shifts got a lot softer. I'm convinced this is heat related. Everything I've read on why transmissions blow/internals wear prematurely says that heat is the culprit, more than even weak internals.

So after getting the cosmetics tended to, I'll attack these transmission problems from both angles, with strong internals from Broader Performance and a giant cooler from TruCool:
                    http://www.amazon.com/Long-Tru-Cool-...2342318&sr=1-5

Or B&M SuperCooler: http://www.amazon.com/70268-SuperCoo...WTNATS8V5NT49W

Which cooler should I get when the time comes? Regardless of which one I buy, it'll go where the AC condenser used to be. Tons of room there!
                    Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 05-22-2015, 09:23 PM. Reason: added some context.

Comment

sounds good... and reminds me that I need a new exhaust vid for my beater. Never have done one since I put the duals on it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Do eeeeeet! I love the Mad Marquis.... it's beautiful even with its battle damage. Makes me think of those proverbial "survivor" cars that got driven year-round for decades that you read about in Hemmings Motor News from time to time.

Comment

What did you go with for pipe size? Cats or no, mufflers?
                          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

@88Vic: 2.5 inches, no cats or mufflers.

Drove Ebyt hard for a solid 2 hours tonight. Mostly just ripping around the backroads. I did a quick blast up to 80 miles an hour on the way home. She took it all, without missing a beat! I don't get why people say these cars are floaty and/or have poor handling..... she was fine over all the undulations and elevation changes. Even at 65+ miles an hour. It's just a single up-down (compression then rebound) motion. Lost track of how many bugs got splattered on the windsheild and grille too, haha. It's going to be a fun cleaning all that off tomorrow. As well as disassembling the interior for the slicktop conversion, as well as removing some more exterior trim. She doesn't go in for body work until June 9th, but I might as well do some prep work while I'm cleaning the interior and exterior anyhow.

Comment

They're pretty damn floaty stock. Seats suck too. Tires suck.

Straight pipe should be prettyyyyyyyyyyy loud.

Mine was too loud to be drivable.
                              __________________________________________________

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                              The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                              It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

@Bobcat: My velour seats are fine. Comfortable, but they also hold me in decently well. Don't know how leather seats fare, though. I will say that the seat belts are mediocre. Will upgrade to 6 point harnesses for the front seats next year.

Dropped her off to get the second round of body work done! She's going function AND look a lot better once it's all done. It's going to take a while though. So I'll start buying parts for the transmission overhaul in the interim. Once the AOD's up to snuff, I'm off to VicCrownVic for some much-needed interior work!

Comment

Working...
                                X