No announcement yet.

My 1989 Grand Marquis GS sedan "Ebyt"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was the slicktop conversion completed? I was hoping to see some pics if it was. Can you point me in the right direction? I love a slicktop box!
    Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
    Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Oh wow, forgot to add some pictures from last year in this thread. Body shop did not repaint the hood, header panel, or top half of the fenders. Hurrh durrh. So I brought the car back, with orders to repaint the aforemtentioned areas. I also have since removed that bottom piece of the rear window trim. Scott will finish deleting the rest of the trim early next week. Hopefully I'll get her back in time this week to get some quick updated pictures before heading out to Skippyville!

Click image for larger version

Name:	EBYTFUNSIESMOFO 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	1280236Click image for larger version

Name:	EBYTFUNSIESMOFO 002.jpg
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	1280237Click image for larger version

Name:	HP2010+BC2+NFSMW2ZOMG 010.jpg
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1280238Click image for larger version

Name:	HP2010+BC2+NFSMW2ZOMG 011.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1280239Click image for larger version

Name:	HP2010+BC2+NFSMW2ZOMG 013.jpg
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1280240Click image for larger version

Name:	HP2010+BC2+NFSMW2ZOMG 015.jpg
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	1280241

I've only dealt with half vinyl roof cars with rear window trim. I imagine the full vinyl roof cars would take longer, due to the stronger canvas material and the greater surface area to peel off. Frenched rear window cars have a fiberglass shell that needs to come off after you peel the top off. Not too bad from what I've seen, just a few extra screws and accompanying holes to weld shut. I'm going to pick up more projects over the summer, including an '85 Grand Marquis with the frenched rear window and half vinyl top. Will post pictures/videos on what to do when I start working on her.

Before you start peeling, remove as much exterior trim as possible. This means the screwed-on B pillar trim, the screwed on outer door trim, the screwed on roof trim, the screwed on C pillar trim, the C pillar badges and the clipped on rear window trim. All the trim screws are the same size and dimensions except for the lower C pillar trim. Of all the trim that had to come off, the rear window trim was the easiest. It wasn't very securely held on in the first place with my car- a couple clips were missing on both sides.

If you want to retain any of the trim, be very careful when unscrewing/unclipping and removing it. It's all pretty straightforward as to how to get to it, but the roof trim "tiara bar" can be hard to get at without hurting the headliner. I ended up just having the body shop drill out the trim and the screws from above. Though you could theoretically unscrew them from inside the car, if you know where the screws are. Could probably feel them out with your fingers, then unscrew them carefully. Still has a chance of damaging the headliner but if yours is due for a replacement anyway then it doesn't make much difference.

Once you've removed all the trim around where you'll be peeling the top, the fun begins. Looking back, it's probably best to start on the lower edge, near the rear window area. In my car's case, it was already loose and starting to peel. Same case with the '85 I'll be picking up next month. If there's no apparaent weak spots, just start at the lower edges and go. It's wasn't difficult to peel off the material, but it was a bit tedious. The glue on mine was on really thick toward the middle of the roof, but comparatively light on the pillars and outer edges of the roof.

Best bet is to practice all this on a couple junked boxes before trying it yourself.
      Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 05-30-2016, 09:02 PM.
      '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
      '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
      '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

I can only think of one thing that would make this car look better - sitting in my driveway!
        Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
        Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Slick top conversion looks great!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Nice work dude! Looks a hell of a lot better than when I sold it!

Comment

Looks great dude!

What's that wheel combo you're running? Looks great and it all fits, might have to copy you.

Slack, your sig pic of the barge is cool, I like how the sun is illuminating the parking lense.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
                I can only think of one thing that would make this car look better - sitting in my driveway!
                There's got to be some clean beige '88 or '89 Grand Marqs in your neck of the woods, just waiting to be scooped up and built up. These cars are blank canvases; you could build your very own Ebyt, or do something completely different. Sky's the limit!

Originally posted by slack View Post
                Slick top conversion looks great!!
                Thanks mang! I bet it'd look equally killer on your '89. Good job on the clean bumper install by the way, looks like it came factory.

Originally posted by 2006_P71 View Post
                Nice work dude! Looks a hell of a lot better than when I sold it!
                That means a lot coming from you, the one who does frame swaps, 4R70W swaps, and custom electrical work! There's still some more to do with her, but we're definitely in the home stretch. Once Scott finishes a bunch of upgrades and maintenance, it's just little stuff from here on out. (MN12 digidash, K code rear, 4R70W swap, etc.). Wonder how she'd do in the stoplight grand prix against your light blue '91! Or your two tone '06....

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                Looks great dude!
                What's that wheel combo you're running? Looks great and it all fits, might have to copy you.
                Thank you, good sir! Your Town Car is pretty slick too, with those unique pinstripe colors over that jet black paint.

I run 16 inch CVPI steel wheels, found on '98-'02 CVPIs. They bolt right up, let you run 255 width tires, and don't feel any heavier than the stock 15 inchers. Be sure to get the collared lugnuts when you pull them off a junked car and/or buy a set off eBay, otherwise the center caps that go with said '98-'02 CVPI wheels won't bolt on.

In other news, the body shop has delayed my plans. I get the car back tommorow, then leave for Scott's early Thursday morning. Originally planned to leave early today, but they needed just one more day.... ugha. At least it gives me some time to get reacquainted, change the oil, do some photoshoots, and drive around before the trip!
                Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 06-05-2016, 03:02 PM. Reason: Cleaned up the format

Comment

If the motor is being opened up, changing the oil is a bit of a waste since it has to get done again when the motor is closed up. Just a mention. Unless you're running around with roofing tar, I'd just run it down as-is and let it get changed after re-assembly.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    If the motor is being opened up, changing the oil is a bit of a waste since it has to get done again when the motor is closed up. Just a mention. Unless you're running around with roofing tar, I'd just run it down as-is and let it get changed after re-assembly.
                    Ah, you're right. Almost forgot about the timing chain getting replaced. I'll just bring the 10W-40 oil and FL-1A filter with me then. Thanks for saving me $50+ mang!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	EBYTTTTT 004.jpg
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1280677Click image for larger version

Name:	EBYTTTTT 005.jpg
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	1280678Click image for larger version

Name:	EBYTTTTT 006.jpg
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1280679Click image for larger version

Name:	EBYTTTTT 007.jpg
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	1280680
                      Major update! Got a ton of work done to her: polyurethane EVERYTHING, giant disc brakes at all four corners, 3.27 gears with traclock, '90-'94 Aero Town Car digital dash, and a whole lot more. the guys did an excellent job on her; I was literally spazzing out with pure bliss the whole drive home, blasting Judas Priest, AC/DC, Loverboy, and John Parr. That was over a week ago. It was easily the best day of my life- and that's saying a lot. Been so busy driving this beast for 75+ miles at a time after work/classes. Expect hoonage videos and more pictures later this month!

Only thing that's changed since these pictures is I removed the trunk trim and front windshield trim.
                      Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 09-10-2016, 05:10 AM.

Comment

Took a sweet 172 mile road trip with her yesterday, to and from Ithaca. She didn't miss a beat! Just a great time all around! Took some pictures, with decent backdrop/scenery variety. Click image for larger version

Name:	EBYThoes 002.jpg
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1280687Click image for larger version

Name:	EBYThoes 004.jpg
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1280688Click image for larger version

Name:	EBYThoes 005.jpg
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1280689Click image for larger version

Name:	EBYThoes 007.jpg
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1280690Click image for larger version

Name:	EBYThoes 008.jpg
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1280691Click image for larger version

Name:	EBYThoes 009.jpg
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1280692Click image for larger version

Name:	EBYThoes 010.jpg
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	1280693Click image for larger version

Name:	EBYThoes 011.jpg
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1280694

Comment

My 1989 Grand Marquis GS sedan "Ebyt"

2nd pic definitely my favorite. Why did you remove the trim?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LE SOLD

1972 Ford F100 Custom - 5.9 - Stock

2011 Ford Fusion SE - 2.5 - Stock

2018 Toyota Highlander XLE

Comment

Cus he likes 'em nekkid!!!
                            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                            The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I want interior pics! I wanna see that digital dash in action!

Comment

What's your brake setup?

Sent while like doing stuff and what not.
                                1990 Crown Vic - Lowered, E303 cammed, Short tube headers, H-pipe and Thursh welded mufflers dumped....MANY UPDATES COMING
                                1999 Expedition EB mildy lifted on 33" Toyo's
                                2012 4Runner Trail, 33" Duratracs, KDSS,lifted and louder.

Comment

Working...
                                X