No announcement yet.

My 1989 Grand Marquis GS sedan "Ebyt"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ordered from Automotivetouchup.com as well. I've yet to use the paint yet. The price was decent though.

As for getting the right paint color, there should be a sticker in the door with the paint code on it.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post
      I ordered from Automotivetouchup.com as well. I've yet to use the paint yet. The price was decent though.

As for getting the right paint color, there should be a sticker in the door with the paint code on it.
      Oh yeah, I forgot to mention how to find the paint code, that definitely makes finding the right color a lot easier.

I know others have done their own paint and actually know what they are doing unlike myself, the only issue I had with the paint was all user error.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Haha. Oh I definitely wouldn't say I know what I'm doing either! I figure anything will look better than the multi-color mismatch my car is now. (Gray hood, header panel, bumper fillers, cream everything else)

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

@HiFiMerc: So true. Especially with cars that were daily driven anywhere above the Mason-Dixon line. That's why I made sure to check underneath. It was undercoated, so it's fared decently well. I'd like to check the drainage system for any leaks. Anybody got a diagram or guide on how to do that? I have pictures of some of the drain plug locations, and know where some of them are, but I want to be 100% versed on that stuff. Can't afford to have water pockets and ensuing rust from the inside out.

@VicCrownVic: Automotivetouchup is epic. They've got tons and tons of OEM colors available. Will check the door tag, and place an order for the accompanying paint this weekend. Will also take a deeper look at Duplicolor's stuff too. Thanks for the links! And I'm sure there will be some user error at some point during the painting process. Me being an inherently clumsy individual assures this, haha.

@slack: We'll see if I can skirt the multi-color mismatch issue. Only time will tell......
          '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
          '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
          '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Look everywhere for rust. Bottoms of the doors are bad on boxes for rust. The rockers like to rot out too. Around the cornering lights, Ummm, lets see where else. The trunk lid seam rusts bad too if in the salt.

Fender lips rust too. But usually later on.
            1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Originally posted by HiFiMerc View Post
              Fender lips rust too. But usually later on.
              This rule applies to all Panthers.
              '79 Continental Town Car
              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by HiFiMerc View Post
                If there is rust you can see, there is rust you CAN'T see. Be prepared.
                True words indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Louis View Post
                  True words indeed.
                  I've just come to the conclusion there's rust everywhere unless proven othewise. Seriously though the last box came out in 91. Rust is bound to happen at this point.

Comment

my 88 finally has some rust... it's in the damaged area of the rear driver door

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

UPDATE!

The so-called reputable shop claims they can't do the 2G to 3G alternator swap. That's bullshit, and we all know it. So I politely explained to them it's been done on Mustangs, and that there are numerous boxes that rock the 130 amp small frame alternator. Not like that matters or anything. They still won't do it. Guess that's just the price I pay for trying to take a shortcut and have them do it for me. It seemed like a good idea at the time; they were going to be under hood, checking out the ignition system anyhow. I'll just do it this weekend in my driveway- like I should've done in the first place. I learned the first of many lessons, fellow box panther owners. Haha.

I've got good lines on everything except the injectors and the exhaust.

Regarding the 4 hole 19 lbs/hour injectors.... only site I found that sells them new doesn't give an option to add to the cart! Link: http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...M9593C302%2001

Now for the exhaust. I think I've got a pretty good idea as to what to buy now. In order, from the front of the car to the rear:
                      http://www.summitracing.com/parts/psm-82-1118/overview/ costs $150 [down-pipe]

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...view/make/ford costs $140 [beginning of mid pipe]

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&partnum=41602 NEED SIX [mid-pipe extensions]

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&partnum=54016 costs $37 [axle area pipe]

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&partnum=54017 [other side axle area pipe]

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&partnum=41394 NEED FOUR [extensions for end of pipes to push the tips further out]

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=133230 NEED TWO [tips]

****Still need a line on the 02 sensors. Stock ones won't work IIRC.
                      Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 04-17-2014, 01:03 AM. Reason: Added some more context

Comment

Originally posted by Hearsesrock427 View Post
                        The so-called reputable shop claims they can't do the 2G to 3G alternator swap.
                        It's not that they can't....more so that they won't due to liability issues/concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by Louis View Post
                          It's not that they can't....more so that they won't due to liability issues/concerns.
                          My thoughts exactly.
                          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by Hearsesrock427 View Post
                            UPDATE!

I've got good lines on everything except the injectors and the exhaust.

Regarding the 4 hole 19 lbs/hour injectors.... only site I found that sells them new doesn't give an option to add to the cart! Link: http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...M9593C302%2001
                            The mustang site has a weird little "Buy Now" image on the right side you can click to try to add to your cart but it looks like it's no longer available. When I went to see if you could buy it, I got this message:

Originally posted by http://www.mustangsunlimited.com
                            Sorry....

The product you tried to add to your cart is no longer available. Please continue shopping.

Comment

@Louis & @VicCrownVic: That appears to be the case. I talked to them earlier; they called saying that Ebyt's 100% good to go. No more screwdriver ignition. New tires mounted and everything. They also mentioned the liability with the alternator swap. They're not really a performance or "speed" shop. That makes sense, actually.

@slack: I figured that was the case..... I think I found a good set on Ebay though. 4 hole, orange 19 lb/hour injectors. I can scoop the whole set of 8 for ~$130 with shipping. Will do that this weekend.

Comment

Parts collection for HO swap begins huh? Very nice.
                                1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Working...
                                X