Cutting springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting springs

So I'm sure yall remember me posting about how I was wanting to lift Leroy. Well, I decided that I like the look of the boxes when their lifted better than the whales so I'm gonna lower the ol boy instead. I've heard quite a bit about cutting springs but don't know much about it. I wanna get 2 inches lower in the front and an inch lower in the rear (once I do the coil spring swap since my bags are dry rotted) to give it a good looking stance, along with some 18" American racing torq thrust m's
    2010 Toyota Camry "Traveller II "
    54,xxx miles. New daily driver
    2001 Lincoln Town Car Signature "Leroy"
    rear cats deleted, 2" h pipe, dual 8" cherry bomb glasspacks
    114k miles. Sold to my coworker.
    1998 Toyota Camry "Traveller"
    Dead and sold.

you can replace the bags and adjust the ride height to the low setting and then just mess with the front springs. That is, if the system still works fine.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I would definitely replace the bags. Much better handling with bags. Plus it auto-levels under load.
      And you can get lowering springs for the front: http://www.eatondetroitspring.com/pr.../coil-springs/

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Thanks guys. Hopefully I can do this in a few months. I gotta get up some money for the wheels too, hahaha

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
        Dead and sold.

Comment

i would not go cutting springs, not a fan of it, better off buying proper springs that lower the car, and +3 on replace the rear bags!

dibs on your stock wheels

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Yeah, I'll probably just replace em from eaton. I'm debating on the rear whether to replace the bags or just buy springs. I don't know which is cheaper so I'll have to figure that out. As for the wheels scott, I don't know if Imma get rid of em or not. You'll be the first to know though

Dead and sold.

Comment

I think bags run under $100. The compressor is the spendy part.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

+1. Bags are cheap on eBay or RockAuto.
                Here, on Rockauto: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...067&cc=1373925
                They're $77.79 each, and then couple that with our GMN RockAuto Discount of 5%, and it's totally cheaper that a set of springs.

-ryan s.
                08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                Originally posted by pantera77
                Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

The compressor is starting to get wore out, so that's another reason why I'm thinkin about doing the coil swap, but I guess since the bags are so cheap I'll just go with replacing them and then once the compressor dies I'll just do the coil swap then

Dead and sold.

Comment

AFAIK, the compressor will last a lifetime if not overworked from having to deal with leaks. Have you replaced the bags yet? I'd be interested in hearing how things are working out.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

the compressor does indeed last a very long time when not over-worked. One thing that will help kill it is a saturated drier though. It might be worth removing it, taking it apart, and baking out the dessicant so that the air system doesn't corrode from moisture. On the earlier driers at least, the top would unscrew and then you basically just dumped the contents out into a baking dish. When I did mine, I cooked it for 20 minutes at the lowest setting the oven had. A toaster oven would do the job very well too. Basically when the beads go from a yellow-brown back to white-blue, they're good.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

gadget73, that's a very interesting tip. Do you happen to know if there is some kind of substance that can be applied to the outside of the airbags to help prevent them from wearing out?

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I haven't actually had time or money to work on the lowering because of my current issues with the car. Though I think by the summertime I should have the front lowered. Haven't replaced the bags yet but I also haven't had any issues with em lately so I won't worry about em till they blow out
                          Dead and sold.

Comment

yeah... no dont cut springs....it will only lead to tears, some dufus cut the springs on the mustang before we got it.....needless to say im now replaced/replaceing front and rear springs,rear shocks maybe, ball joints, tie-rod ends ....
                            89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Working...
                            X