No announcement yet.

pinging/chattering after cleaning out EGR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i always ran my timing at 12*, coolant lines at spacer disconnected and pinched off on the spacer and hoses bypassed, would pull EGR off since the passages can be blocked up, and when i had time once a year, i pulled upper intake to clean it . . the lower intake ports i would hit with carb cleaner and a small brass wire brush to clean it pretty good . . . car will blow black smoke from carbon getting blown out from cleaning and not really wanna start . . i would run for about 5 minutes to clear system and then do oil change to get the carb cleaner out of system that may have leaked past piston rings . . have o2 sensors been done at any point since they can cause a headache with fuel to air mix also
    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

the 02 sensors look new ( I am assuming they were changed). I didn't bypass the spacer but I would ntice from time to time in the seams I would see I tiny bit of gren ooze. I will bump it up to 12.

What is the max you could bump it to?
      "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
      -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

the more you advance it, the more its liable to ping. Neither of mine like more than 10. Some will run fine at 16. Experiment.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My 88 likes 14-15... but will do 20 with 89 octane. As stated, each car is a little different and will take a little more or less (some will actually want it to be 6-8 instead of 10).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

oh wow so you can actually go back to 6-8!

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

You can go about +/- 20 at idle with the spout out and it will run to varying degrees of success.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

but the higher you go. (ex: 10 degrees going up to 14 degrees), the more potential for knocking?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

pretty much.

Comment

I have mine running at 10* and use 87 octane. No pinging that I've noticed on mine.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

I use 87 and have mine set at 14-15*... no issues.

Comment

impressive

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                        X