pinging/chattering after cleaning out EGR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pinging/chattering after cleaning out EGR

This is weird, I took off and cleaned the EGR put it back on now I hear it pinging (especially right after gear changes under a load). I have read a few threads about this and it always seems to tie back to the EGR system. I tested the EGR diaphram by blowing into to it to see if it still keeps the vacuum, and it does.

Any idea what gives?

On a side note, I also changed the crescent valve and even though it works now, I still hear a little hiss coming from under the dash (if I put my head under it. Is that normal???
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

it may be leaking air at the EGR gasket or possibly some build up in the EGR channels fell off and is holding the EGR open.

The crescent valve should leak in P/R/N and seal in all forward gears to pull the brake release.

Also, check the other vacuum lines to make sure nothing got broken/disconnected in the process.

edit: check your MAP sensor first. read your other post and that is most likely the issue.
    Last edited by sly; 04-10-2014, 09:39 AM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

10-4 on the crescent valve

That's what I have been doing. Looking for leaks, and I got nothing?!?!?

Ill slap on a new gasket, but I tightened the old one down pretty tight!

I took off the valve and was pressing it in and out, doesn't seem to be stuck or close wrong. Closes ok!

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Perhaps its a bad MAP sensor, how do I test the MAP out?

I did have a code 22

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

well... apparently oldfuelinjection.com is down because the guy isn't paying attention to his domain (nothing new there)... so archive.org it is...
          https://web.archive.org/web/20131229...tion.com/?p=27

If you have a multimeter with a Hz setting (like mine has) or an oscilloscope, you can backprobe (poke the pointy part in next to the wire through the rubber guide down to the contact) the map harness and see if the reading changes from key on engine off to key on engine running and see if it's in the ballpark of what it should be. If it doesn't change or is erratic, change it. Or just change it and see if it works better with a new one.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Sorry to thread jack here, but where can a guy get a new crescent valve? I need one for my 88 Town Car. It reminded me when I was reading through the thread, lol.
            Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
            Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I got my last one at Autozone. I know Rock Auto has them.

Comment

yeah autozone.

My car has still beeen doing the pinging, nto as bad as it used to, still under the same conditions??

Could it be the coil? The timing chain???

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Pinging is caused by higher than normal combustion temperatures. The EGR operation assists in reducing these temps. Therefore your valve is probably not opening now. Check the valve's control system.

Comment

it's more of a chattering noise if anything.

I cleaned out the valve and tried opening it. It does open, what else could I check in the system?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                    -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

if it's the normal valve train chatter, ignore it. the stock rockers and valves and lifters and such make a little noise after a good while, but they don't go bad unless something really bad happens or they get oil starved.

you should hear my 88. damn near sounds like a diesel engine first thing in the morning.

Comment

WOW, lol but mine doesn't do that until i have been driving a lot (20-45 mile drive)...this chattering fiasco

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

hmm... that's different.

Comment

yeah, it's weird. I narrowed it down to timing chain or EGR

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

check it for codes to see if the egr is working now. It may not be. The computer adjusts timing based on EGR function though. If it detects the valve opening, it advances the timing more. It has no idea if there is actually any flow though. If the passages are plugged but the valve opens, it may do this. Apply vacuum to the valve and see what happens. The engine should stall or run very poorly. If it barely makes a difference, your EGR system is plugged up and not working. Only fix is either pull the intakes and try to clear it out, or cap off the vacuum line so the ECM doesn't try to open the valve and over-advance the timing. Pinging will melt the pistons, so you don't want it doing that.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X