Timing Chain Cover Gasket Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73
    For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
    1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
    1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

I had to tighten down the return line clamp a couple of times when I replaced the steering pump on my 88. even the new hose was some kind of tough.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I installed a new PS pump when I did my chain, I managed to force the return line over the disposable cap on the pump nipple

Pete
        For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
        1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloRider View Post
          Kind of off topic but I'm thinking about getting another panther beater that I can drive in situations like this, or maybe a little ford ranger or something cheap and easy to work on. 0 creature comfort, essentials only, A to B kind of car, just enough to get me down the street and back. Maybe if a good deal jumps out at me.
          Ford Rangers, especially with the v6, are a lot harder to work on and those engines have lots more problems than your 302. If you think this will be easier to work on than your panther car, you've got another think coming.

I hate those fuckin things.
          There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
          91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
          93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
          Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
          Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
          95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

A second vehicle, especially if its a truck, is a damn useful thing. I've hauled more Ford parts in my Chevy truck than any of you people would want to hear about, though I'm sure the bowtie nerds would get a hardon at the thought. Shame I don't have pictures of me towing the S10 with the Towncar when it shat it's transmission.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              A second vehicle, especially if its a truck, is a damn useful thing. I've hauled more Ford parts in my Chevy truck than any of you people would want to hear about, though I'm sure the bowtie nerds would get a hardon at the thought. Shame I don't have pictures of me towing the S10 with the Towncar when it shat it's transmission.
              I got half mast when I read that.

'93 T-bird
              '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
              '88 Mark VII
              '86 CV

Comment

Yes, that is the I fixed my car dance, timing chain edition.

Everything seems fine, PS pump just needed a little more tightening, no leaks from anything so far. Thank you all so very very much for the help and encouragement. When I get home from work tonight I'll write out a list of things that you need for the job as well as tips and pointers so anyone who comes across this thread in the future can learn from my mistakes.

I also think I'm gonna start another thread soon to discuss what kind of backup beater I should get and we can all argue about what's the cheapest and easiest car to work on.
                Last edited by BuffaloRider; 04-25-2014, 08:08 AM.

Comment

WIN!

Pete

Comment

It overheated on my way into work though. I'm hoping it's just an air bubble still finding it's way out. I'll check the coolant levels on my brake. Hopefully I didn't speak too soon lol.

Comment

Comment

Yeah, I checked my coolant levels on my BREAK (not brake, brakes don't have coolant lol) and it was a lot lower. Pretty sure it was just a pocket of air. Should be good now.

Comment

Awesome! Can't wait to read the write up!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            Oh I'm all for a 2nd vehicle, hence Clifford (the big red truck), my F-150. Buuuut I just hate rangers. That 4.0 v-6, whether OHV or SOHC, is just an evil motor.
                            There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                            91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                            93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                            Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                            Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                            95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
                              my F-150.
                              Perfect second vehicle!

Comment

yeah I wouldn't really be overly keen on a 4.0 of any form, but I'd much sooner have an OHV than the SOHC. Whenever I replace the S10 it'll be a 1/2 ton of some form. I'm not picky, it would depend on the vehicle and it's specifics. No base engine unless its a 300 though. The V6 engine in a full size truck is a joke. Modern fantypant superturbowhizbang engines nonwithstanding. A 4.3 V6 in an S10 kicks ass, but in a C1500 it sucks ass.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X