Gutting cats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gutting cats

So today I'm working on gutting my cats, but I have no way of cutting, removing the packing, then welding it back. Anyone have any ideas of how I could do it without all that?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    2010 Toyota Camry "Traveller II "
    54,xxx miles. New daily driver
    2001 Lincoln Town Car Signature "Leroy"
    rear cats deleted, 2" h pipe, dual 8" cherry bomb glasspacks
    114k miles. Sold to my coworker.
    1998 Toyota Camry "Traveller"
    Dead and sold.

just leave it. unless you're adding boost or the cats are clogged, there will be no real benefit unless you like the smell of raw exhaust. it will also piss off the rear O2 sensors and give you a malfunction light unless you tune out the rear sensors.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I actually just hacked em off. They were rattling and pissing me off. Also, the downstream sensors are before the secondary cats (the ones I cut off) so it don't throw a code

Dead and sold.

Comment

Isn't Virginia one of the inspection hell states? Sounds like a good way to cost yourself money next visit to the smog nazi.

but yeah, if you don't have cutting and re-attatching tools, its sort of hard to make that happen. Grinder with a cutoff wheel or a sawzall and a welder is really what you need for this sort of a job.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ah... then if you don't need those cats to pass inspection... party on.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Virginia depends on your locality. A few metro areas do sniffers, otherwise the cats just need to be there (nonfunctional is okay).

I'd leave them if they aren't causing problems.

I gutted some non accessible cats before. I used a long pry bar and shoved up in there to bust the catalyst, then some revving to blow it out. If you do gut them, you can usually use a spark plug nonfowler (or two) on the rear O2 sensors. Keeps the computer happy.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I live in Spotsylvania, one of the few counties left that don't do smog sniffing. Inspection should be alright but I'll wait and see. If it don't pass I'll just gut the cats and get a buddy of mine who has a welder to weld it up for me

Dead and sold.

Comment

Working...
              X