No announcement yet.

1973 Marquis Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, thread blowed up! Appreciate the positive comments.

Sly:
    I know those cars weren't built for fuel economy, but my curiosity is peaked. How's the gas mileage on that beast?
    I had to check my gas slip, it was 174 miles back, 12.15 gallons = 14.32 mpg. Not bad for what it is. She's a cruiser
    (2.75 rear) as I knew she would be. Needs a tune-up. The plug wires look to be the originals.

RyPow:
    I'm curious, is that the pre-federal wagon rear bumper? '73 was the transition year with federal front bumpers and non-federal rear, but your rear bumper looks federal.
    73 was the first year for the "energy-absorbing" bumpers. The standard was 5 mph - front, 2.5 mph - rear.

HiFiMerc:
    Does the clock work?
    Unfortunately, no. Pulled it out to see if maybe the "points" were stuck closed or the if the wind-up spring broke, but the coils are burned up. If I don't find one, guess I'll have to do a quartz conversion, but I would prefer to keep the old-school "tick" style. But it will work eventually, can't stand it not running.
    Last edited by CountrySedan; 04-14-2014, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
      A good rare factory radio option would be the am/fm search scan (town and country) radio. It takes a very long 54" antenna.
      I have one on my 75 LTD
      Looks like in 73 the the most elaborate gimmick was the AM/FM Stereo 8-track.
      Attached Files

Comment

[QUOTE=Louis;720178]One word....beautiful!

Takes me back to '73 when my parents bought our new '73 Country Squire. I even remember the "Air Conditioning" in cursive script on the heater control panel.'73 had the back bumper filler panel in black, first year for the mandated 5 mph crash bumpers.

Likewise. My first car was a 73 Country Sedan, got it from my dad, who bought it new. It was even the same color as this Marquis. Was the first car we had with A/C. Had the 400 (which most folks take a shit on) but that car pulled like a train. Of course, the first thing I did when I started driving it was put on duals.

Comment

found a toy for an 8-track...
          http://www.etsy.com/listing/17942076...ssette-8-eight

couple this with a cassette adapter and get an mp3 player (or anything else with a headphone jack) to work in the old boat.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by CountrySedan View Post
            HiFiMerc:
            Does the clock work?
            Unfortunately, no. Pulled it out to see if maybe the "points" were stuck closed or the if the wind-up spring broke, but the coils are burned up. If I don't find one, guess I'll have to do a quartz conversion, but I would prefer to keep the old-school "tick" style. But it will work eventually, can't stand it not running.

Damn. Look around. Maybe there are people who could rewind the coils. Probably cost a few bucks, but I think it would be worth it to rebuild that clock. I bet it can be done.
            1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Working...
            X