AC compressor whine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC compressor whine

For the longest time I thought my Whine was coming from the Power steering but upon close listening, it became apparant that its the AC compressor. I was thinking of converting to R-12. I THINK...I THINK i have R-134, is it worth converting to r-12???

Why Im doing this is because i think my ac compressor bearings are shot (hence the whine)
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

OEM charge is R12. It may or may not have been converted to R-134a sometime in the past--depends on whether anybody wanted. R12 is very expensive as it's no longer being produced, so converting back to R12 if the R-134a retrofit has already been done is probably a non-starter.

Does it whine with the a/c off? Center part of pulley will stop spinning with a/c off.
    Originally posted by gadget73
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

also, if you think it's the compressor, it may actually be the idler pully. A mechanic's stethoscope helps figure out exactly where the noise is coming from.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

with the AC on or off makes the whine

So your saying its not worth converting back to R-12, even though its a stronger unit then the R-134?

I thought the idler pulley is withint the compressor?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

the idler/tensioner is below the compressor. make sure it isn't bad and make sure its not coming from the smog pump.

if the compressor clutch bearings are bad, it will make noise only with the AC off. If the compressor itself is noisy, it makes noise only with it on. Since it doesn't change, its probably not the compressor.

R12 gets colder, but its more difficult to get. Price has gotten comparable though since there isn't as much demand. Unless you're planning to fully rebuild the system, I would leave it alone if it works now. Maybe if you have plans to fully rehab the AC in the future, consider converting it back at that time. Properly done, these cars do fine with R134a, provided your fan clutch is good. If its toast, the AC sucks.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think i did change that tensioner.

I haven't noticed the sound go away when the AC is on, but i do hear the whine coming from the AC compressor side

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

I had 134 in the 89 LTC certainly cold enough. Wish I had known about relaying the blower fan back then.... It would have helped.
              2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
              2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
              Past Panthers
              1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
              if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Converted my '87 GM to R134a and it is colder than the '95 GM that comes R134a from the factory! We're talking "Bird's Eye" here. Although I do have the '95 cold it is not quite as cold as the '87.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I converted my 83 three years ago and it freezes you out. I didn't change the compressor. If it was converted it could still have the original compressor. You really only need to change the dryer and the oil in the system. You can tell if it's been converted by looking at the charging ports. They will have adapters on them.
                  sigpic
                  GrandestMarquis

Comment

My 89 was converted to 134, it get's cold but not that cold.
                    My 85 still has the factory R12 in it, and it gives you glass cutting nipples in no time. The compressor is pretty noisy, and it's a bit low on charge (short cycles). I do have a can of R12 laying around, but I'll probably convert it to 134 once it dies just for ease of maintenance.
                    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

You used to be able to get an online certification for R12 so you could still get it (not sure if that is still true). Haven't checked prices lately but is R12 that much more expensive than R134a?? Seemed like the last few years the latter was catching up fast!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

R12 was deemed unfit for the environment a very long time ago it is upwards of $40 to $50 + a pound now that it is not being made.

For personal use as in working on your own house or your car you don't need any type of certification. Automotive has its own certification (609) and stationary equipment has three levels of certification (608 I, II, III) depending on the type of equipment.

R12 was a very good refrigerant that was stable and easy to work with R134a is not as chemically stable because it is a mix of different refrigerants and the oil is hygroscopic (it loves water).

Sent from my '85 Lincolin Town Car
                        Last edited by kodiak; 04-20-2014, 12:56 PM.
                        Using Tapatalk

Comment

Have to look for the documentation as I have the automotive cert, somewhere among my goodies.....may have other certs but memory is failing....

Comment

The price of R12 has been coming down. Its not nearly at the premium it used to be. No production cars have run it in about 20 years now, so the only demand is for very old AC systems that cannot be converted, or for people who have cars that suck when converted. Not many people are fixing the AC systems in 20+ year old cars either, and AC wasn't very common before the 1970s so you're looking at a fairly limited market anymore. Last I looked at pricing a couple years ago, it would have cost about double what the R134a was to do my Mark VII. I seem to remember it would have cost about $60 worth of magic gas, vs like $28 for the R134a in cans. I should have bought the parts, the Fox AC system does not convert as well as the Panther stuff. Smaller condensor.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I got lucky last summer. Seen a set of R12 gauges on Craigslist for $20, went to get them and the guy throws in 3 cans of R12, another fill hose for hooking to the cans, tire gauge looking tester for R12 and temp. stickers you put on each line so you can see how it's doing buy looking at the color they change to. plus instructions on how to use everything.

I see R12 every now and then going for about $15 obo per can here on craigslist.
                              ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
                              ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

Working...
                              X