No announcement yet.

Fuel switching questions.... got the orange "CHECK ENGINE" light came on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@mobydick: No, it stopped. Smoke was white. Didn't get a chance to smell it; it came and went within 4 seconds. Hasn't smoked since, even on the drive back home. Thanks for the link too! I'll read up on that stuff, and see if I can chase down the surging idle.

Oh, I forgot to mention another funny thing that happened:

-After starting her back up after pulling over (recall the smoke I mentioned in post #28), I decided to try to help keep temperatures low under the hood by switching on the A/C. I pulled the thing down to turn it on, and then switched it to "MAX". The engine just cut out when I did that. Easily the weirdest issue of them all.
    Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 04-21-2014, 08:57 PM. Reason: Added some context
    '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
    '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
    '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

A/C will make the engine work harder, increasing the temp.

Were you at a standstill when you turned on the A/C and it stalled? If so, I'd suspect the IAC as the reason for stalling.
      1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

@HiFiMerc: Ah shoot, I think I confused the A/C and the fans. I swear there was a shortcut for these cars to get the fans to turn on.

And yeah, Ebyt was idling in park when I switched on the A/C. Looks like our prime suspect is the IAC!

Comment

Unless it's been modified, it has a mechanical clutch fan, attached to the water pump pulley. Runs when the engine runs.

If you replace the IAC, shell out the cash for a Motorcraft one. Don't waste your time with aftermarkets, they suck. Rockauto has OEM for about 63 bucks or so.
          1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Originally posted by mobydick View Post
            The F-101 is the one that fits our cars right? I've thought about getting these...

How low does is stick down on the rear sump? I would be worried about bottoming out and shearing it off.
            actually the engine crosmember is lower than the fumoto by about a half an inch on the box and and on the aero, the valve is out the side so it's a non-issue... so meh. you'd have to run over something obnoxious to be able to break it off on a box and then you'll probably put a hole in the pan via the front sump part before having an issue with breaking off the valves.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hearsesrock427 View Post
              Updates!

-Brand new issue. Earlier today, I was driving around town and there was a bit of smoke coming out from under the hood. It came without warning. It escaped through the driver's side of the hood; nothing on the passenger side of the hood. I immediately pulled over and shut her off. Popped the hood, and it was definitely warm underneath. No smoke after I popped the hood though. Perhaps a coolant flush is in order? I planned on doing it anyway this summer, but perhaps sooner is better than later. Or it could be the POS 2G alternator. I plan on swapping that this week.
              I'm gonna guess you spilled some oil when you filled it and the oil burnt off. Lord knows I always spill some when I fill it, no matter how careful I am.
              There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
              91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
              93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
              Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
              Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
              95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Updates!

Pulled codes last night. 'Twas fun!

Engine off codes:

Engine running codes:

Didn't get a chance to run 3 back-to-back cylinder balance test- will do that either tonight or tomorrow. I expect Ebyt to pass with flying colors.

Also, I had a small oil leak last night.... what are the part #s on RockAuto for a full PCV valve replacement?

@91waggin: Yeah, I think that's what happened. I poured the new oil carefully, but I didn't use a funnel. Haha.
                Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 04-24-2014, 07:52 PM. Reason: Added a question about PCV Valve

Comment

74 you can ignore. it means you didn't hit the brake pedal when you were supposed to during the test.

41 and 91 are engine lean codes for left and right bank. could be as simple as a clogged fuel filter.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

@gadget: Alright, cool. I like where Ebyt's heading. The codes make a lot of sense; they explain the bogging/misfiring feeling. Will do the cylinder balance tests tomorrow just the same.

Fuel filter is on the passenger side IIRC. I know what they look like, so finding it shouldn't be an issue. I'm assuming I need to unbolt some stuff, and then use a special tool to remove the fuel filter? Anything specific to look for/telltale signs that the filter is defective? I'll buy some more oil at AutoZone (Ebyt burns it somewhat regularly, haha.) & some Motorcraft fuel filters too.

Comment

no special tools required. These use the plastic clips that go through slots in the fuel hose to hold the filter in place. the special tools started some time after 93 (my 93 uses the clips too instead of the quick disconnects).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by Hearsesrock427 View Post
                        @91waggin: Yeah, I think that's what happened. I poured the new oil carefully, but I didn't use a funnel. Haha.
                        Been there done that a thousand times. I can never find the funnel when I need to, and I buy 5 quart jugs, so it gets messy sometimes.
                        There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                        93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                        Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                        Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                        95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

just make sure the replacement fuel filter has the little plastic clips with it. small screwdriver or pick to get them off, and i think a 5/16" socket to undo the plastic cover that holds it in place. Protip, whack the inertia switch in the trunk with the engine running and let it stall. That will depressure the fuel system so it doesn't spray fuel all over the place. It will still leak some when the filter comes off, but it won't be at 35 psi.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

meh... I just let the car sit for a few hours. I've never had it spray me.

Comment

Updates!

Changed the fuel filter (put in a Duralast brand. Hope that's a good one!) successfully, and it seemed to lessen the 2 cylinders running lean issue. It's definitely still there though, just not quite as much as before. So what do I do now?
                              Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 04-27-2014, 06:43 PM. Reason: Typo fixes

Comment

might need to run a tank of fuel system cleaner through it. the injectors might have some gummy build up on them. I generally have to run a tank every 2-3 years thanks to the shite gas the feds think we all need to use.

Comment

Working...
                                X