Cop car aux gauge cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cop car aux gauge cluster

I am looking for information on adding a volt/temp/oil gauge kit to my 89 GM . Wanting to add-on in-line with factory idiot light . Any ideas !

I've got my guages mounted under the ashtray.
    Oil Tees into the existing oil port the idiot light uses. Voltage I took off the power antenna plug that was available under the dash. And water I drilled and tapped the pipe that the ecm water sensor is threaded into.

Alex.

Comment

Did cop cars come as a factory option with these gauges or were they added on during conversion ?

Comment

it was a somewhat rare factory option. There may be people on here selling the 3-gauge pack, and it will bolt onto your car's dash, but the issue with the factory stuff is that the senders to make them read correctly are kind of hard to find.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

At the very least I would like to find the dash mount/bezel if not a complete gauge setup . Anyone out there have or known where I can find either or both ? I remember reading a post recently about someone who was into restoring cop cars .

Comment

I have seen them on Ebay once in a while. The complete set brings good $$. They could be ordered a factory option.

Comment

check the pic here. Standard 1/4 NPT fittings to T in the pressure sensor with the idiot light switch for the oil at least.
              Attached Files

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

There is an empty coolant port in the RR corner of the lower intake you can use for temperature, but you have to remove the upper intake though... Good time to do valve cover gaskets at the same time if you need them.
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I think they are hard to read personally. Unless you're the passenger.

Mine are under the ash tray. They are hard to read unless you're a spider on the floorboard. But I can read them by taking my eyes off the road.

A few members were running two gauges on the side of there '79-89 Ford speedos. Looked great. But you can't do that on a GM .
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Does anyone know of a pillar post gauge holder like on Mustangs, Camaro & many trucks ? Or maybe one that can be modified (slightly) to work ?

Comment

I believe 86-93 stang A pillar pods will work on our cars. I think 87gtvic has one in his.

'93 T-bird
                      '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                      '88 Mark VII
                      '86 CV

Comment

Dear Panthers,
                        http://www.summitracing.com/parts/at...el/thunderbird

Though the pillars aren't exactly the same, heat cautiously applied will reshape the mount.

Donald McCaig

Comment

What donald said about the gauge cages. I made two of them, one being a dual and one a single. I sold the dual one and I still have the single. You will have to heat them to form it. I used a regular sunpro brand one and formed it to my pillar with heat.

I cannot find a pic of the dual a pillar gauge cage but I have pics of other things....

Here is a pic of an 88-89 triple police pod in the dash:

here is a 87 and down (to some year...I forget the specific model years it came in) gauge pod

some cluster pics:

the 87 pod installed

single gauge pod

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I appreciate the pics 87 gtVIC ! Gives me ideas on what I am looking for . What are the 3 toggle switches at the left side of your dash for?

Comment

Originally posted by amoss2 View Post
                              I appreciate the pics 87 gtVIC ! Gives me ideas on what I am looking for . What are the 3 toggle switches at the left side of your dash for?
                              Hot, Cold, and Lukewarm running babes, obviously.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
                              Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Working...
                              X