Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Constant, variable or professional grade springs??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Constant, variable or professional grade springs??????

Ok, so apparantly there's diff kinds of springs.

Whats the diff, I know ya'll have been through this:

I am guessing variable gets firmer as you compress more??

Constant is same feel (economy type) and prof is heavy duty, right??

I am shopping for springs so I would liek to get the best pair for the Lincoln
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

Originally posted by porschpow View Post
    Whats the diff

Sorry, had to...

You are correct about variable rate vs. constant. "Professional grade" is likely more of a product quality descriptor than anything else, although it could be referring to "fleet" grade (police/taxi) as well. Best to look up the part number on the manufacturer's website and compare spring rates.
    Last edited by RyPow; 04-22-2014, 02:01 PM.
    RyPow
    1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
    1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
    2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
    1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
    2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
    2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

good one,,

Yeah I know. Thats is what I was thinking aboutt he springs.

I know I will have to take the control arms off (rotor, sprindle). So I might as well change ball joints control bushings right. Anything else I am missing?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

"professional grade" are "usually" a lesser grade of stuff to allow for higher profit margins.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If you tend to carry a couple hundred pounds of stuff in the trunk always, variable rate springs suck. That first "soft" springy part of the spring compresses too easy and you'll have a saggy assed car just from the day to day stuff in it.

Comment

constant rate wagon coils work very well if you carry a lot of crap in the trunk all the time. Standard replacements work fine otherwise. The variable rates seem to collapse in a few years so its back to sag-ass. Either that or it just didn't care for the sub, the full size spare, and the jack I carry.

"Best" always is "best for what?". If you want the car to ride like it did in the 80s, use stock replacement springs. If you want to do something else, then you have to define what you're after.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I want it to ride like it did in the 80's but with a little more of a solid feel, a LITTLE

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

I replaced the rear shocks on my '87 with Moog 8805's. Stock replacement springs - constant rate. It put the car back to level as the originals were sagging a good inch. The ride height is still not the same from side-to-side even with brand new springs. I think it's about 1/2" different.
                Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
                Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
                Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
                Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

I wonder if you switch the sides....would it be the same.

I know changing the rear springs is a world different than the fronts

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                  -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Do the springs have "pigtails", if they are not facing the same way it might have an effect on ride height....

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Not sure, but I wasn't about to tear it all apart to find out. It's not off a significant enough amount to bug me too much. Car rides fantastic so I'll let the next guy worry about it.
                      Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....

Comment

as many sets of springs as I've had in my car, its always been about a 1/2" off side to side, which is about the same as every one of these cars I've ever seen. Its sort of funny, you park a bunch of boxes in a line, and they all have the same lean. I half wonder if the same will be true when I change the back end over to air springs.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ha!

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            as many sets of springs as I've had in my car, its always been about a 1/2" off side to side, which is about the same as every one of these cars I've ever seen. Its sort of funny, you park a bunch of boxes in a line, and they all have the same lean. I half wonder if the same will be true when I change the back end over to air springs.
                            I am very interested in hearing how you do this with the top mount in the rear. This is something I would strongly consider doing. Makes it much easier that I already have the factory air-assisted shock system already in the car.
                            Nick

Comment

What are you talking about?

Originally posted by LithiumCobalt View Post
                              I am very interested in hearing how you do this with the top mount in the rear. This is something I would strongly consider doing. Makes it much easier that I already have the factory air-assisted shock system already in the car.

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X