Ambient lights cutting off/not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ambient lights cutting off/not working

I have noticed that sometimes when I open the door, the lights don’t come on. If they do, they’re only on for 20-30 seconds, in which they turn off. I didn’t mind it until I was trying to find things in the car. Any idea what it could be? I replaced the door switch (the white button with one from a junkyard (but I guess it could be another bad button). Any other ideas?

I know when I open the door (when it’s locked) the lights do come on.
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

there is a interior light control module. I forget where it is located (might be in the driver door). That probably has some issues. It's the part that lights up the interior when you pull on the door handle and the door is locked.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Interior light control module... hmm NEVER heard of something like that.

Ill look into it

But that part works, no problem with that, its just that when it opens, the light sometimes doesn't come on

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Stupid things first--

Pull the lens off the dome light and tighten the screws under the bulb. One of them is a ground. It came loose on me one time.
        There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
        93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
        Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
        Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
        95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Yeah, its not just the dome lights, but the under seat lights, under dash lights, door lightsas well. That is why I suspect something is in play here

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

check for loose fuses as well. also, check that the replaced switch is actually plugged in good. if one contact isn't making good contact, it could cause this action.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yup, thats what ill be doing

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

The module only turns the lights on when you pull up on the door handle to light up the keyhole and the keyless entry, if equipped. Its not used for door open situations. Pretty good bet its the button. The only one that doesn't work on mine is the driver's door, and thats the one I bought new from Ford.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X