Engine Stalling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Stalling

Had this happen twice, exact same conditions. I don't want to get stranded somewhere....

Pulling up to a stop the car stalls (thankfully both times in driveways).

It will cranks and VERY occasionally fire on 1 cylinder, but most of the time won't even try. I've tried holding my foot to the floor, giving it gas, all the tricks in the book.

It has spark at the coil at this time

After it cools off a little for 5-10 minutes it restarts and runs fine.

I'm leaning towards a carb issue since it had good spark...but it's just so strange, anyone hear of a problem like this? I don't need it happening to me at an inconvenient time or place (like in camden).

82 FORD LTD 351w with a 2150 carb that was recently rebuilt.
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

often I've found with carbed vehicles that 'cooling off" is partly about a flood condition dissipating. If holding the throttle open after it's stalled shows lots of steam/smoke coming from the carb, that could be your issue.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

When it does restart, does it restart after just hitting the key? Or, does it need a pump? I would be checking for fuel, next time it does this. Right after stalling out, pull the air cleaner lid off and see if the accel pump is squirting fuel. If not, that means the carb is running dry. I had a similar problem with my dads old wagon. Turned out to be a rusted out fuel line at the fuel pick up(fuel pump would loose prime and suck air). Another issue may be that, the tank vent may be clogged or blocked. So, you could try poping off the fuel cap and see what happens. But first thing, verify if fuel is in carb, when this happens again.
      Last edited by marquisman; 04-24-2014, 10:03 PM.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

yeah the nice thing about a carb is that it's pretty easy to diagnose if there's at least enough fuel to idle getting to it. pop the air cleaner, fiddle with the throttle, and look/listen for the squirt.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I did this at the time actually, Definitely getting fuel, squirts it, I tried cranking it for a while with the throttle fully open, but it did not help. It could be flooding, but in general the carb runs pretty lean (that's how i tuned it with an 02 sensor). Any other ideas as to why it might be flooding? Also when it did fire it may have back fired, and an odd smell came from the engine (it actually appeared to be BEHIND the engine...??)
          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

hmmm, this is weird since, it only started recently. Are you sure you have GOOD spark?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

What ignition module do you has? Duraspark or TFI? Often ignition modules (GM's HEI does it too) will get hot and fail to provide (adequate, correctly timed) spark, but when they cool off they work normally until they heat up again.
              Originally posted by gadget73
              There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
              91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
              93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
              Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
              Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
              95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Spark seemed strong, but i saw it from inside the car when i was cranking it over, so might still be weak.

It can affect spark timing? interesting, that would do it, since I know i do have spark. I have a duraspark 3 module "converted" to duraspark 2. I believe it is original... I've been meaning to buy a new DS 2 unit, along with a coil to carry around in case one failed. The reluctor ring and pickup were recently replaced (like 2 years ago)
                -Phil

sigpic

Comment

OKAY, so to resurrect an old thread...

It is still having this problem. I've replaced the ignition module, and ignition switch (the old one would get pretty warm/hot after driving, the new one does not). However it still has this issue! Stranded me twice. Seems once the engine temp goes below 190, or after waiting 5-10 minutes, it will restart. Is it possible the coil is weak?

I tried a test last time...it has spark at the coil, i tried to test for spark at the end of a sparkplug wire and it seemed to have no spark, however i ran out of time when i tried to confirm this and the car started...

Any other ideas?!
                  -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Try replacing the rotor. I had one go stupid and it would arc through the plastic into the distributor shaft. It would do the same thing, spark at the coil but nothing at the plugs. Look closely for burn marks through the top of the rotor.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'll check it out, the rotor's metal part did get bent at one point, and it's been unusually tight against the cap ever since.
                      -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Why not simply replace it, as it is cheap enough, and see what happens??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I have also run into temperature sensitive pickups and coils before. Usually with a pickup, you get diddly if its open though. A weak coil could give you an orange spark or a short blue spark at the coil but not enough to fire at the plug end. If it won't jump a solid inch with a blue-white spark, I'd say something is weak. If you've got an ice pack with you, slap it on the coil and see if it comes back. I remember a boat trip many moons ago in the '68 Donzi with a 302 that involved a plastic bag full of ice around the ignition coil to get us home. It ran when cold, but not when it warmed up. the ice kept it ticking along and we got back.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ha! Well I will have ice packs with me, but i think I'll just put the new coil in before I leave for CT tomorrow. Better safe than sorry, and I'll knock on wood and keep my fingers crossed. I'd rather not be the one to hold us up at Scottfest.
                            -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                              I'd rather not be the one to hold us up at Scottfest.
                              You wouldn't be holding anyone up Phil...we'd just leave you.

Love ya.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X