No announcement yet.

My '90 Grand Marquis 2-tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the kind words everyone. She's not perfect, but still pretty nice, the rear bumper has a small dent and it looks like someone put something just a bit too large in the trunk (didn't think that was possible) and tried to close it, so there are a couple dings on the outside of the lid.

1990 Grand Marquis GS
    Bone Stock

Comment

I haven't kept this updated, so here goes. I've learned that buying a car that had only 10k miles put on it in the last 9yrs has a few downsides, mostly minor stuff. Things you'd expect to be trouble spots for a vehicle that wasn't driven enough.

Since purchase I've put in a new radiator, upper/lower hoses(upper was OEM), bypass hoses, t-stat due to leaking gasket. I had intermittent sticking calipers. I thought it was just the slide pins so I tried cleaning and greasing them. That seemed to work for a bit, but it came back. Next move was to replace just the slide pins(the original ones were pretty rusty). Again worked for a few weeks, but they started sticking again. Next was to replace the calipers which seems to have fixed the problem. I installed new pads at the same time and bought the soft lines, but couldn't get them loose from the hard lines, so I stopped before I destroyed a hard line.

I think I have all those issues sorted and she's running quite well and averaging 21mpg. Down the road I'll fix the A/C. At some point it was converted to R134a and worked great when I bought it, but a couple months ago the compressor seized up. That will have to wait but I will fix that eventually.

Any tricks to reviving a weak door lock actuator or freeing up a seized one? The driver one doesn't work at all, I can't even lock/unlock the door with the key. One of the rear doors will work if you manually lock and unlock it a few times but a few days later it won't unlock fully with the power button.

Still love the car though.

1990 Grand Marquis GS
      Bone Stock

Comment

I'd just replace the actuators.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I would also check EBAY for OEM ones as most of the aftermarket ones suck!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Here's a link to the Ebay store page I picked up my front actuators from: http://www.ebay.com/itm/120714927854

It's about $50 each for these but they're OEM (Sold in a pair... they might have singles as well). They work great. I have the write up in the link in my sig if you need it. I went with this guy because I saw on the boards that this guy was recommended.

The fronts seize up because water gets down into them from the dew wipe edge right above it. I loaded mine up (inside the boot and out) with white lithium grease. Dunno if that's a good thing, but it's what I did to keep future water off. (As well as replace the bad dew wipe)

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Oooh! I've never seen that body style in two-tone! Very classy.

Also, the OEM Mercury mudflaps are tits.
              1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Charlene

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

Working...
              X