Six or twelve point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Six or twelve point?

I finally found a NOS ATS for my '86 MGM 5.0.

Should I utilize a six or a twelve point socket for the sensor base?

I imagine a half inch drive should be used, as opposed to a three eighth dive?

whatever socket that's on hand that fits is what I would use. I've never had issues with using my 3/8 drive stuff on anything (including my 1/2 drive impact and breaker bar) except for the 3/8 to half adapters breaking. Finally got an impact adapter and haven't broken that one yet. of course, my 3/8 sockets are designed to take an epic beating.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

its not that tight. Its threaded into an aluminum intake. If it was in there enough to need a 1/2 breaker bar, it would have probably stripped the intake out. 6 or 12 point, your call. I've used both. Just make sure you put a bit of thread sealer (plumber's pipe dope) on before replacing it. DOn't crank it in there super tight either. Its tapered threads, and you could possibly split the intake if you really forced the issue.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I notice the sensor has some kind of red stuff over the threads already, but should I use Teflon tape or the thread sealer that comes in a tube? I can say it looks like I will have to use a deep socket as a standard one does not appear to be able to clear the plastic top portion and reach down to the brass area, nice of Ford to design the sensor bottom needing a one inch socket, kinda large no? As always thanks for all the help!
        Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        its not that tight. Its threaded into an aluminum intake. If it was in there enough to need a 1/2 breaker bar, it would have probably stripped the intake out. 6 or 12 point, your call. I've used both. Just make sure you put a bit of thread sealer (plumber's pipe dope) on before replacing it. DOn't crank it in there super tight either. Its tapered threads, and you could possibly split the intake if you really forced the issue.

Comment

nah, just use the stuff that's on the threads already. It's enough goop.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

if its got something on there, that should be fine. I forgot those come pre-doped. I'm the cheap SOB that re-installs old ones, so I'm used to using the plumbing snot on them.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yup just did this. 1" socket. 6pt or 12pt, doesn't really matter since it's not in there that tight. But it does have to be a deep. Good luck finding a deepwell 1" socket in 3/8 drive; I don't think I've ever seen one.
              There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
              91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
              93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
              Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
              Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
              95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

that's what a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter is for

Comment

Hey I love you guys!..........you know Carmen Electra wanted me to take her out, but I said nah, I got to connect with my box buds, she said I need help.........I don;t need help do I Manks? LOL

Comment

Is it true all the X-es, live in Texas??????????
                    Originally posted by sly View Post
                    that's what a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter is for

Comment

nope... some live in the Caribbean.

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
                        Is it true all the X-es, live in Texas??????????
                        Depends upon the divorce settlement! Remember divorce is the process of removing a man's testicles through his wallet!!! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Bob!..........that is a great quote!.........never heard it before!.......
                          Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                          Depends upon the divorce settlement! Remember divorce is the process of removing a man's testicles through his wallet!!! Bobby

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
                            Bob!..........that is a great quote!.........never heard it before!.......
                            "And ya kno' dat"!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

best to have six and 12 point sockets, i use my 6 pointed sockets mostly, but the 12 pointers are handy in my box for when i come across 12 point hardware/

remember you can never have too many tools!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                              X